WARNING!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms32462

well i had my first and last accident with platinum.. wed last week i was checking the color when a big strong wind blew some vapors in my face just checking the color nothing else bought me to my knees then rushed to icu with burnt lungs and could not breath doc put me on striods and if that did not work ventulator was next but i did work... overnight at icu for observation and let go the next day i learned a value lesson dont matter what u are doing always use safety gear i will be back next week finishing up what i started and all safety gear is ready ya its my mistake and stupid on my part just wanted to share a little but i know 100% of people on hear are safe but please wear all gear for about 2 hrs i was fighting for my life thanks

thank you for sharing.very important safety tip and it could save your life.remember some protection is better than no protection but no protection is an accident waiting to happen.

Please, no duplicate posts. I realize your serious situation and appreciate the warning, but duplicate posts spread out the information and can confuse the issue. It's best to keep things in one spot. It will definitely get read. I deleted your other post and transferred this thread to the Safety category.

Glad to hear you ar ok.

ms32462 said:
acid /bleach

I had a sniff once of Cl gas... man, i'll never gonna forget it.
Was treated in the local infemery with ventolin for my short of breath.

I remeber the "heat wave" running through my body down to my legs.., man that was scary...

Ever since, i'm sort of, breathing differently when ever i'm near chmicals... Always short sniffs when ever i come in to the storage shed or the lab or near a reaction vessel.

Stay safe.

ms32462 said:
when a big strong wind blew some vapors in my face
Can you say *fume hood*?

There are readers that insist that refining operations have no place in buildings, but I strongly disagree. By working in a building, in the mouth of a fume hood, these things don't happen. Please do consider adding a fume hood to your operation, also working in a shelter of sorts, where you can control drafts.

Happy to read you are on the road to recovery.

Harold

Yes safety is first and paramount .....as I studied this forum endlessly and Hoke but one night I figured I got this so I mixed my AP solution and I put it on a slow simmer but what ppl fail to realize is that when you simmer your AP solution the peroxideboils off and the UCLA becomes very very concentrated and accidentally I let the steam cloud brush my fact and became asphyxiated Andwound up in the hospital and given oxygen but Evan warm fumes can get you too! :evil:

Hey All,

I found an interesting medical journal entry on a case of severe nitric acid fume inhalation by a worker in India...

http://www.ijccm.org/article.asp?issn=0972-5229;year=2005;volume=9;issue=4;spage=244;epage=247;aulast=Pillai

Happy reading.... Be safe!

no filter type respirator will filter nitrogen dioxide (NOx) fumes.

S.C.B.A. is the only breathing apparatus that gives any protection against these fumes.

even a little of these fumes can be harmful, so be careful.

work in a fume hood or outside and do not stand close to the reaction. the smell is very distinctive and the fumes can bring you to your knees very quickly.

Anyone have a comment on this setup being offered on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140676185732?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Seems simple and I wonder if it might help some who are refining
without a fume hood and who may not be handy with tools or
mechanically inclined.

Yes Jim,we had a discussion about this guy in another area of the forum.The consensus was thumbsdown.(And I am adding that the guy is an idiot,thanks in part to an email he sent me)
Here is the thread
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12084&p=118852&hilit=coffee+pot+ebay#p118800

I also saw that on ebay and was floored. Even as a new guy looked at this and said gee a dustbuster cut into bucket connected to a coffee pot can in no way be a safe and alternative to a fume hood. This product should be banned or even taken off and this guy be warned that there is possible human death from his device. Its not no were near safe.
Rich

Back