Metal Fume Fever

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was building a dune buggy with a buddy once we were welding galvanized in his dad's small garage, mind you we knew galvanized was bad to weld but didn't think it would hurt us. I went outside for a little bit to grab some stuff, came back in and he was passed out on the floor. I drug him out of the shop and opened the doors. The next day he didn't come to school and said he was suffering from flu like symptoms and a terrible headache. In other words be careful with galvanized

Tyler

I had an uncle that was a welder in a truck plant. Welded a lot of galvanized in his life, which was cut short by exposure to it.

Fumes from it are nasty.

I remember the first time I melted some cement silver with an oxy/accet torch.

I used gloves and welders goggles but no respirator.

I remember inhaling fumes from the silver melt and thinking it smelled like hot metal being welded - no problem.

The next day I was in bed all day with flu like symptoms. It was welders fever.

From that day on I always where a respirator when doing any melting or hot work.

kadriver

Tossing in a .02 worth. EDTA is a readily available supplement that many use to chelate, or remove, metals from the body. Incidentally many have also used it to clean up plaque in arteries.
A good friend in his 60's used it and avoided having a stint put in, secondary testing showed he had the arteries of a 30 year old.

GotTheBug said:
Tossing in a .02 worth. EDTA is a readily available supplement that many use to chelate, or remove, metals from the body. Incidentally many have also used it to clean up plaque in arteries.
A good friend in his 60's used it and avoided having a stint put in, secondary testing showed he had the arteries of a 30 year old.

What is EDTA

Kurt

kurtak said:
GotTheBug said:

What is EDTA

Kurt

Ethylene diamine Tetra Acetic Acid

Chelating agent. If anyone interested, I have some Ultra Pure EDTA. (Enzyme Grade)

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/ethylenediaminetetraacetic-acid

Thank You Irons for catching that one.

Looks like I sparked a few minds, which is good. I take the stuff every night before bed. Don't take it in the morning, usually, as it will bind with any minerals in supplements that you take with it. Taken before bed gives it more "time to work". You'll know it when that first morning pee has oily foam.

GotTheBug said:
A good friend in his 60's used it and avoided having a stint [stent] put in, secondary testing showed he had the arteries of a 30 year old.
Alternative medicine sites and publications cherry pick the research they site, and fail to inform readers about dangers of the therapies they advise. That goes double for anecdotal accounts (“arteries of a 30 year old”).

A big danger of chelation therapy is that it removes calcium from the body. Calcium is not only needed for bones (look up osteopenia), but it is also essential for muscle contraction. Calcium makes your heart beat, which is why some heart patients receive calcium channel blocking medication.

One of the reasons soy bean products are not favored for infant formulas is that they contain phytic acid (inositol hexakisphosphate), which is a chelator. In addition to calcium, it will chelate niacin, causing deficiency of that vitamin.

There is a new orally active drug, dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA), which shows some promise for treatment of lead and arsenic poisoning. Previously British anti-Lewisite (BAL) was used by infusion.

Alternative medicine sites and publications cherry pick the research they site, and fail to inform readers about dangers of the therapies they advise. That goes double for anecdotal accounts (“arteries of a 30 year old”).

And you think the AMA doesn't? Ever wonder why we have so many recalls after patents run out? As for anecdotal, that it is, was also a very close friend.

A big danger of chelation therapy is that it removes calcium from the body. Calcium is not only needed for bones (look up osteopenia), but it is also essential for muscle contraction. Calcium makes your heart beat, which is why some heart patients receive calcium channel blocking medication.

Which is why one might also take a calcium supplement? Oh, by the way, ever seen the effects of flouridated water on calcium in the body?

One of the reasons soy bean products are not favored for infant formulas is that they contain phytic acid (inositol hexakisphosphate), which is a chelator. In addition to calcium, it will chelate niacin, causing deficiency of that vitamin.

Along with phytoestrogens, I agree with you on that one.

There is a new orally active drug, dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA), which shows some promise for treatment of lead and arsenic poisoning. Previously British anti-Lewisite (BAL) was used by infusion.[/quote]

So, a drug for lead and arsenic, what about the other metals, in particular mercury, or the others we come into contact with in our hobby?

The response you just received is a direct result the sensation of being "called out", so to speak.
I have used edta for many years, and I promise my bones are strong as ever....

GotTheBug said:
(quoting me) One of the reasons soy bean products are not favored for infant formulas is that they contain phytic acid (inositol hexakisphosphate), which is a chelator. In addition to calcium, it will chelate niacin, causing deficiency of that vitamin.

Along with phytoestrogens, I agree with you on that one.
I don't think genistein has a significant estrogenic on males, otherwise the Asians who eat a great deal of soy would have problems. A greater problem is that 90% of soy is genetically modified.

>>>There is a new orally active drug, dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA), which shows some promise for treatment of lead and arsenic poisoning. Previously British anti-Lewisite (BAL) was used by infusion.

So, a drug for lead and arsenic, what about the other metals, in particular mercury, or the others we come into contact with in our hobby?
Yes, mercury also. Surely you are capable of doing an internet search on dimercaptosuccinic acid.

I have used edta for many years, and I promise my bones are strong as ever....
Please post the results of your bone scan.

Last weeked (this is Wednesday), I picked up an interesting rock that I found at a park. It appeared to have a gossan-like iron oxide stain and metal inclusions. I crushed it up and applied hydrochloric acid. To my surprise, this produced a bright yellow liquid with a pungent odor. I filtered and put the liquid in a covered container with some iron, and the next day it was clear, and the substance had coated the iron. Additionally there was .6 gram of material of the base of the container.

Here's a photo of part of the rock, let's see who recognizes it.

Attachments

• Orpiment1.jpg
    Orpiment1.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 273
spaceships said:
Dude this is a funny place to post that :lol:
It is orpiment, arsenic ore. And I'm experiencing the classic "flu-like symptoms", especially a sore throat and cough.

I want to thank Irons and others for their warnings -- I did recognize it pretty fast, but not before inhaling enough of the gas to cause some problems. I'm waiting for results from some tests at this point.

Well that was an impressive amount of damage for a few seconds' exposure. The doctors tell me the outer layer of the mucus membrane in my throat, and part of the bronchia and nasal passages were destroyed, which is what caused the flu symptoms. Apparently it takes about 3 weeks to grow a new layer, so for now the least bit of dust or allergen makes me cough. A HEPA air cleaner helps; air conditioners are troublesome.

A week after exposure, some of the epithelial cells on my eyes shedded off, and I got conjunctivitis. The infection spread to the other exposed tissue. It is responding well to antibiotics.

When I was in Florida, we had coral snakes--quite deadly, but highly visible due to red and yellow bands on their tails. There was another snake, entirely harmless and in fact beneficial as it eats rodents, and it also has read and yellow rings, but the colors do not touch. So we were given a rhyme to distinguish them:

Red touches yellow, kill a fellow.

Not very good poetry, but works nicely as a mnemonic. Perhaps we should be teaching this for mineral exploration as well.

Attachments

• iron2.jpg
    iron2.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 207
Back