Nitric Acid on Ebay - 1qt for $70

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadriver

Found this nitric acid on Ebay, 1 quart for $70 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitric-Acid-67-reagent-ACS-grade-in-1-quart-glass-bottle-/110826856677?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cdcba0e5

For someone looking to get started with a small quantity - especially living in a rural area.

When I bought my first liter of concentrated nitric acid I paid Over $100 for the acid and shipping.

It was not available on Ebay back in 2010 (as far as I can remember - might be wrong though).

I remember that I did not care about the cost - I just wanted to get started.

Now I get my nitric from GFS Chemical, six 2.5 liter bottles for $220 delivered (to my company address - no residential deliveries)

kadriver

I make nitric from myself and i spent 2$ for 5 liters, concentration around 70% (is a little bit contaminated i need to say)
make your count...

how did you endup with making nitric acid a 2$/5l... i must have mis interpretted what you just worte, when i make mine i com to about 5/15$ litter depending on how cheap i manage to find my sulfuric acid and mina is also conatminated...

i tried the calcium ammonium nitrate and sulfuric acid distillation method and the nitric acid is very clean and near isotropic. i buy battery electrolyte at $26 per 5 gallons which gives me 5 quarts (5 L) of concentrate sulfuric and the nitrate was $22 for a 50# bag. i should be able to make double the weight of nitric acid as sulfuric acid which should be around 2 gallons of nitric for less than $50.

zzz said:
No error, you read that right...

then its best to leave it at that. if a process is recommended that the dangers of it is life threatening, its best not to put it on the forum.

Geo said:
i tried the calcium ammonium nitrate and sulfuric acid distillation method and the nitric acid is very clean and near isotropic. i buy battery electrolyte at $26 per 5 gallons which gives me 5 quarts (5 L) of concentrate sulfuric and the nitrate was $22 for a 50# bag. i should be able to make double the weight of nitric acid as sulfuric acid which should be around 2 gallons of nitric for less than $50.

Geo try a few of the hydroponic or greenhouse chemical supply house's they sell 98% sulfuric acid in 20 liter container - $50.00. Might even be cheaper in the U.S.A..

rusty said:
Geo said:

Geo try a few of the hydroponic or greenhouse chemical supply house's they sell 98% sulfuric acid in 20 liter container - $50.00. Might even be cheaper in the U.S.A..

Ask them about nitric too a lot of greenhouses use it as a PH balancer and it adds nitrates to the water.

Thats how I started getting mine though a friend that has lots of greenhouses. he now uses sulfuric acid do to the low sulfur content in his water at his farm to growing his greens.

Eric

Geo said:
This is the method I was looking at, I wanted to ask you have a lab setup to make it or just some other equipment? I want to get some distillation equipment but you know how that goes, just curious.

mjgraham said:
Geo said:
This is the method I was looking at, I wanted to ask you have a lab setup to make it or just some other equipment? I want to get some distillation equipment but you know how that goes, just curious.

i made my own condenser using glass tubing used in neon signs and PVC as the water jacket. it works really well. i posted pictures of the condenser before but cant remember the post i put them in.

Well I can't complain about that, one more thing and I'll leave you be, what are you boiling it in? I thought to use my filter flask need to see if it will work for that kind of thing.

ive been using 1 gallon wine bottles (the kind with the finger hole). the mixture needs to be at or a little above 255 degrees F. i use an electric skillet with a couple inches of sand. then i put aluminum foil from the skillet to the neck of the bottle to help keep the bottle hot. if the mixture stays warm and the bottle is exposed to the air, nitric acid will condense on the inside of the bottle. this will happen anyway, but if the bottle is hot, more acid will form in the condenser and less in the bottle.

Interesting, have some of those, I'll let you know what I come up with, I have already basically copied your chip incinerator and it works pretty good.
Thanks for the info

Geo said:
zzz said:
No error, you read that right...

then its best to leave it at that. if a process is recommended that the dangers of it is life threatening, its best not to put it on the forum.

Is not the method I wrote long ago, is another and is fast, sure and without any risk of die. Maybe i'll post.

Is not the method I wrote long ago, is another and is fast, sure and without any risk of die. Maybe i'll post.

Please do post it, for $2 at about 70% i like to try to make it myself.

zzz,

Yeah, I'd like to see it, too, just for the sake of comparison to the other methods.

Is 70% purity o.k. to use for doing a fire assay?

Cheers,

Mike

924T said:
zzz,

Yeah, I'd like to see it, too, just for the sake of comparison to the other methods.

Is 70% purity o.k. to use for doing a fire assay?

Cheers,

Mike

Homemade nitric is not appropriate for doing assays. You add other variables into you assay and run the risk of making it meaningless.

70% analytical grade would be fine but you would still dilute it by 50% the reaction is less crazy. To do assays spend the money for good chemicals so the don't lead you wrong.

I don't do assays and probably will never I don't have the proper lab skills(neatness) but I have read great post on this on the forum.

Eric

etack,

Thanks for the reply------that does make sense, I hadn't looked at it from the point of view
of introducing variables, which would pretty much skew the results of a fire assay.

Cheers,

Mike

Latest posts

Back