Members asking if I can supply nitric

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtak

I have posted a few times the fact that I get my nitric relatively cheap because I buy in bulk

This has lead to a few members asking in PMs if I would sell them nitric if they came to get it

At first I did - but then that resulted in them coming back for more on a regular bases & the next thing I knew I was having to go get more far to often just to supply myself with the nitric I need for my own processing

It finally came to a point that I had to say no - no more - I am not a chemical supplier

To buy nitric in bulk (so you get it cheap) is not that hard to do --- all you need is a business tax I.D. number which you get through your local city/town - then you can go direct to your most local chem supply house & get it (at least that is the case here for me) --- I have mine as a scrap dealer

Kurt

I was wondering about Nitric for farm use. I read a member suggested that a person could possibly purchase it through that avenue. Question is what would it be called? Nitric Acid? What would a person go in and ask for? I would imagine its related to Nitric fertilizer?

Coming from the MidWest if I remember correctly ammonium nitrate sales were regulated after the Oklahoma bombing with Timothy Mcveigh. Places like local MFA supply chains had fertilizer. Some I remember stopped carrying nitrate fertilizer altogether.
Like Kurt said though, it really isn't hard to get a number. A lot of places accept Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TIN), and Employer Identification Number (EIN) you can get from the IRS website in 10 minutes and is free. It might also help for future things such as a business license. Which the last town I was in was around $50.

Andrew

72chevel said:
I was wondering about Nitric for farm use. I read a member suggested that a person could possibly purchase it through that avenue. Question is what would it be called? Nitric Acid? What would a person go in and ask for? I would imagine its related to Nitric fertilizer?

Yes if you have a farm then you have a business & along with that business you have a TIN --- then you can go to a chem supply company & buy from them - most chem supply companies will only sell to a business so they ask for your TIN as proof you are a business --- its a liability thing

I don't think you will find a farm supply place that will actually have nitric - at least none of them around here do - with the TIN though - you should be able to go to a chem supply company

Kurt

Its used in greenhouse supplies. It may be used for lowering pH. 73 ml of 70% Nitric Acid per 1000 L of water will neutralize 60 ppm of bicarbonate.

Back