Almost time for Nitric

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcoManiac

I've come to realize that I'm soon going to have to pony up the $ for some nitric. My scrap 925 silver is starting to pile up. I ordered "Silver refining A to Z " from Lazersteves store, excellent by the way, and, well I'm obviously going to need nitric.
I'm reluctant to distil acids and make my own for safety reasons.
I see online Dudadiesel has 2500ml of 67.2% for $112. it also claims to include shipping.
Rocky Mountain Reagents has 2000ml of 70% for $58. + shipping.
I know this is expensive but it's the cost of doing my hobby so I don't realy mind. Are these prices over the top? any sudjestions? I work as a hazardous waste handler and more than likely will have it shipped to my office. I am in the U.S.A

There are a couple locally but I haven't been able to contact them yet. I've driven by them but can't for the life of me remember where or the names of them.
It occurred to me after I posted that I had seen here on the GRF a 'Cold Nitric' recipe. I'm going to explore that as well or is the final product not going to meet my needs? I use sodium nitrate in my AR for gold recovery/refining and found it way too easy to add too much and sometimes reactions seem slow to complete, as an example.

If you make it correctly it will be just fine. It yields ~50% strength.

Just depends on how much you need. Are you doing ounces of scrap, pounds, hundreds of pounds?

Will you be working in a gallon(s) sized cell, or 500ml beaker? That answer should tell you which way to go.

If you have Google available to you it should be pretty simple to find local sources that won't break the bank.

I buy nitric acid from GFS Chemical. $220 for six 2.5 liter bottles delivered. But you must provide a business address as they will not deliver to a residence. They also sell dimethylglyoxime - DMG for precipitating palladium. I think I got 500 grams for about $60.

kadriver

kadriver said:
I buy nitric acid from GFS Chemical. $220 for six 2.5 liter bottles delivered. But you must provide a business address as they will not deliver to a residence. They also sell dimethylglyoxime - DMG for precipitating palladium. I think I got 500 grams for about $60.

kadriver
That sounded too good to be true and it was, https://www.gfschemicals.com/statics/productdetails/SODIUM_DIMETHYLGLYOXIME_169.html
DMG at $62/100g
I found DMG at eBay at $29/100g with free shipping. Haven't tried if it works yet but nothing points to it being fake.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221640192295

Göran

Back