help in ridding ash from chips with water

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steyr223

Gentlemen,ladies, others
I hope all is well in between your ears

I have been reading patnors tutorial on black chips
I am on page 18(very long buy good)
I also downloaded his first pdf and read

My problem arrives at the "washing ash with water" step
I seem to sit for hrs letting water run into smaller bucket into bigger bucket(wich is taller by the way so i do have to
Dump the water and start over)
My water continues to stay black for hours the water accumulation is huge so i try to decant big bucket into another into anothet so on and so on but the water is still black so i never get to see the gold and end up with absolutely none
I run the water so slow that the ash cakes up but if i agitate it i think the gold will float up

This is what i end up with and by the way nothing was magnetic at all THIS. Was a handfull of ic's 14 and 16 legs
When you talk of eprom types half wer, but with no wwindow
Sorry for misspelling my phone changes my words and i cant edit amy of this
Thanks steyr223 rob

Attachments

• CAM00157.jpg
    CAM00157.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 857
I have the same issue. Ashing chips is a major headache

I got myself a gold pan to check and see when I'm loosing gold. I found the little wires do in fact float. Dish soap seemed to help with this. It takes hours to get rid of the ash. I think the best way for us is to make a Sluic with corrugated pipe or a miller table. I posted a good link to some info for a miller table awhile back. I really think most of the fine gold does settle to the bottom of the buckets quickly but I do think we are loosing some if you don't use a miller table or sluice. They can each be home built for cheap.

I tried something new today and it worked a little faster

I took some IC ash I had that had not been separated yet. And I was working with some foils from gold filled already in HCl/Cl

So I took the conc IC ash and dumped it all in my gold pan. About 150 grams. I sifted it through a strainer to remove the big pieces. Then vibrated the pan with my hand to one corner. So all the heavy stuff would concentrate in one area while lifting it to one side. I then used my fingers and pinched out the top material into a glass jar. I kept doing this until all I had was mostly gold wires in the pan. Those went in with the foils. I then did it again with the material I had removed in the jar. I had missed some but not much. This went way faster and I'm sure I didn't get all of it but I got most and I saved everything anyway. Usually I would just get the ash out with water and put the concentrate in nitric then incinerate and ash again and put that in AR. This was a quick and easy way.

Nice! I never even thought to do that. That might work pretty well. And use a magnet on the kovar and you would be all set. I'm gonna try it. Give me a few days to strip some boards and I'll let you know.

I tried bmgolds electrical box today
I had a few issues but as everyone keeps pointing
Out no matter what you do it takes practice tobecome proficient
In the end after all the concentrates were gathered i still found my self panning more of the ash out and this is what im trying to avoid :cry:

I think a sluice for tomorrow will be a good day

Thamks steyr223 rob

Ok how is everyone
Well i made a makeshift sluice today
And tried about 150 ic's from memory
Pc3200 ,5300,maybe. Some older
And about 20 bga type chips (about 2/3 the
Size of regular north and south bridge chips

After incineration i didn't have a way to sieve (not to be
A moron but this means sift :oops: ) i will next time
I ground up pretty good but there were a few that didn't get
Done due to running out of acetylene .

I put all in sluice
I think i am happy as i have been going through my ash witha loop all day and havn't ffound any gold: i think

This took all of 10 min in the sluice dont laugh although
It is darn funny
IMG_20140413_194322.jpg

My ash after sluice

IMG_20140413_194611.jpg

My concentrates as of now

IMG_20140413_194531.jpg

Please tear the pics apart on your hi tech pc's
And let me know whats what
Remember im color blind

One more pic ,i know these are not bonding wires so why
No mention

CAM00173.jpg
Thanks steyr223 Rob

I couldn't see much from those. What I would suggest is putting the concentrate in a bowl, use a strong magnet and remove the iron. Do this with water so you can wash any gold wires out. It's gotta be tough being color blind for sure. I would say get a cheap gold pan from eBay. $5-10. That's what I use whenever I ash IC's. That way I can test everything before I separate it and discard. I almost always find a little tiny gold wire that way. And when I do the concentrate I find lots of them. I would try the sluic again with everything minus the iron. Take the concentrate and do a nitric leach then incinerate and then do AR with very small nitric additions. Use as little HCl as possible to keep the amount reasonable. Or you can try HCl/Cl but it takes longer, however you can test it easier with Stannous.

Thanks
is there not a reason to soak in hcl
To rid the tin or maybe CuCl to rid copper

I have not checked these yet but so far everything I have done has been non magnetic

Thanks steyr223 rob

i used to do a soak in HCl, then i figured i was using a magnet to remove all the legs anyway so i didn't see a point to it anymore. i would incinerate, dump the pieces in water, sift it through a strainer, remove the magnetic pices, re-incinerate the big pieces that were in the strainer, sift again and remove more magnetic pieces, remove as much ash as i could and then run that concentrate in 50/50 nitric. incinerate again, remove ash again, then do AR on whats left.

however i started using a gold pan on the last batch, did small batches in the gold pan, getting all the gold wires into one side, then removed the top layer with my fingers by pinching it off, this removed ALOT of extra material that i didn't have to deal with anymore. i would just check what i removed in the gold pan after to see if i missed any.

with BGA or flat packs you don't have to worry about magnetic pieces or tin as they have neither once the bottom half is removed, just remove the ash as much as possible, 50/50 nitric, incenerate, AR.

Nice product goldenchild
I had the same idea a while back to
Filter my auric chloride with i think a drum stand
With 3 arms one above the other .each arm holding
A funnel with a Charmin plug

Thanks steyr223 rob

Rob, when you reduce initial batch to say 20% of starting volume and remove all magnetic material, you should then gave concentrate leach in warm nitric to remove all other non magnetic metal pins. Then quick wash, dry, and crush again I use small mortar & pestle, then wash with water again.
You can use big containers to store wash water, give it a day and ash will settle on bottom and you can reuse that water again.
Here is picture of small sluice I made from gutter pipe and rugged rubber mat. I tried to make it as long as possible, I run material through but not all, lets say one/two cups at a time, then I wash everything trapped in rivets to separate container. Repeat till all material is processed. Then I take container where waste go and next day when water settle I remove it and run it through sluice again. It is slow but efficient. I always put some washing up liquid in water I use for washing.

Attachments

• DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 539
  • DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 539
Thanks patnor
Actually my sluice worked excellent, even though i see no
Gold i see no metal or heavys in my wash
I check with a loop
The problem is i just cant see the gold
So i dont know if it is being washed away or not

To get to the point of the so called pay streak in the pan is way after a lot of washing and decanting and if the bonding wires act anything like foils or even powders than
How do i know if there getting washed away

This is a pic after sifting with a screen ,sluiced,magnetic removal, ground ,sifted

CAM00189.jpg

On the right is my concentrates, middle is all magmetic removed materials(i have sifted more conc since the pic)
The left is all non magnetic that didnt sift

The problem is we see no gold in any and am wondering
If my miniture bga packeges have very little gold
Thanks steyr223. Rob

Patnor, that is THE most amazing use I've ever seen for a piece of scrap gutter. Kudo's my friend!

Back