Solder Mask Removal Comments

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey steve,nice video,great info.Can you do me a favor?Can you try it on a piece of a mo-bo or an IT board with gold tracings?I think the masking is a lot thicker and potentially denser on those 2 than a cellphone board.If I don't hear anything back by the morning I'll give it a try here at the house and let try to let everyone know how it went when I get a minute.
Johnny

I just tried the process on an old HP board and the results were not as good. The HP board has a layer of what appears to be acrylic or epoxy on it.

I'll do some more experimenting and see if I can find out what types of board this works on and the proper concentrations of hydroxide for each type.

For the record the board I tested in the video was not a cell phone board, it was a laptop touch pad board. Another possibility is that when I heated the board to remove the components the mask was weakened by the heat.

I noticed that the board in the video has a dull light green mask, but the HP board has a shiny thick coating. Most of the older ISA and PCI cards have this dull colored coating.

Steve

hi steve

all of your video require a log-in name and password, like the one that you have in the first entring to the site...
i tried your username and password but it's not working and can't see the video, or any other for that matter...

Here you go!

Username: gold
Password: goldm1ner*

Click Here to Login
Type in the characters just as you see here.

I performed a few more test on various board types, here's a photo of the results:

sm_test.jpg

You are looking at a slotted cpu (cpu removed, components removed and split in half for comparison), a DIMM (components removed, split for comparison), and an old Vesa card (stripped one edge).

The items all stripped fine. The slotted cpu card could have been allowed to heat a little longer as some of the mask remained.

I used the same solution, adding a little water to prevent it from dehydrating but with no additional hydroxide added, for all the boards in the photo.

Steve

thank you, but you misunderstood me.

when traing to access to a video (all of them) in the video section i get this log-in screen again.
and this user name and password just loop me back to the log-in screen again and again...

Edit: when problem wiil be fixed, please feel free to delete my post, as they are not relevant to the tutrial.

You have to go and click on the I Agree button a 2nd time and it will take you in.

Great video Steve.

Could you please fix the spelling on on the other tag line.

Solder Mask Remval in 10 minutes or less

Sam,

What browser are you using?

Are you accepting cookies for my site?

Are you allowing Active X scripting for my site?

Do you have the Firefox IE Tab plug in installed and configured for my site (Tools-->IE Tab Options-->http://goldrecovery.us/Add-->OK) if using Firefox.

Do you have the Firefox Media Player plugin Installed?

Do you have the latest version of media player installed?

Do you have my site on the exceptions list for any internet security suites you may have on your machine (Black ICE, Kapersky, Norton, etc)

Steve

Steve,
I've found that alkalai solutions will severely etch glass, including Borosilicate, so it might be a good idea not to use valuable glassware, but instead, some garage sale casserole or something similar. I tried using Stainless (Inox) Steel but the solution created pinholes in the Steel after a while. HDPE works well but it needs to be heated in a water bath or use an immersion heater.

I have a little question. Why to remove solder mask if there is only copper traces. Or can someone tell me what kind on boards have gold plated traces.

hello every one i wanted to know when buying AR ( aqua regia ) what concentration type shouls i ask for and if i was to process 10 kg of CPUs can i mix pins and fingers in there and what container should i use and how much chemical and do i put everything in the container and leave it over night ( yes i have just bought steves DVDS but will be a while to get it to me as i live in Aussie land,, thank you my email is [email protected]

vmsmnmam said:
hello every one i wanted to know when buying AR ( aqua regia ) what concentration type shouls i ask for and if i was to process 10 kg of CPUs can i mix pins and fingers in there and what container should i use and how much chemical and do i put everything in the container and leave it over night ( yes i have just bought steves DVDS but will be a while to get it to me as i live in Aussie land,, thank you my email is [email protected]

Follow this link.
http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6855

Steve, I tried it & it worked! I got hold of a few nintendo 64 games w/ nice fat fingers. Weeks earlyer I tried fire; not good. Then came across your post &
OH YEAH! Thanks. By the way, just completed my first batch of inquarts on AR. Success. Thanks to your video tutorials & the input of all the bro's & sis's @ GRF. com :lol:

Attachments

• 4-2010 018.JPG
    4-2010 018.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,883

Latest posts

Back