What acid bath are you using on CPUs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are referring to the MMX Cpu Core Removal video, then the acid bath I referenced was the acid-peroxide bath.

Steve

Steve,

Have you ever used stronger peroxide in that method. Someone on this forum or the other forum mentioned a common source for 30% (100 volume, I think it's called) hydrogen peroxide. It's really powerful and, of course, takes a lot less. I've used it a lot over the years to jack up other chemical processes. It will causes burns, however, not unlike the sulfur burns from a match. You've got to be careful with it. It looks so innocent.

Chris,

I haven't ever got my hands on anything more powerful. There are some stronger concentrations available at health food stores, but I'm not sure of the actual percentage. The stronger stuff has more strict shipping regulations as well. The 3% works fine for me. As you probably know peroxide has some explosion hazards in the higher concentrations as well. I believe it has to be more concentrated than 30%, but I can't recall the actual level off the top of my head. I'm sure google could provide more accurate info. It would be nice to have a more concentrated supply to reduce the required stock volume.

Steve

Yes. 3% Hydrogren Peroxide, the household variety.

The mix is slow to attack gold and therefore works good to strip gold from base metals (it eats the base metals faster) such as in fingers, pins, cpus, and boards. It's not fast, but it is effective and safe to use indoors with minimal ventilation. You don't have to babysit it like you do AR. I personally will give up speed for safety any day of the week.

Steve

It's probably hard for most people to understand this but, to me, the use of 3% peroxide is way too limiting. As I understand it, it takes 2 or 3 days or, whatever, for the HCl/H2O2 or H2SO4/H2O2 to do the job. If you always use 3%, you'll never be able to do it faster. That would drive me nuts, knowing that there's stronger stuff out there that might speed things up 4 or 5 times. If you had something stronger, you would be the master of the situation, rather than giving that distinction to the peroxide. You could adjust it to almost any speed you wanted, within much wider limits.

I noticed on the web that Clairol makes a 12% hydrogen peroxide that is sold in beauty supply stores.

Chris,

I've been toying with the idea of getting some high "proof" peroxide, but I haven't put the effort into it that I should have. I have lots of patience as there is always something to do while I wait. I'll look into getting some concentrated stuff and give it a whirl.

Steve

Why would you want to do this? Chlorine isn't very soluble in aqueous (water based) solutions, so if you tried to put chlorine gas in the AR it would likely form a cloud of toxic chlorine and not remain in the AR especially if hot. AR is plenty strong and hazardous enough on it's own with adding the chlorine.

Steve

Ok, I'm fairly new at this, and really appreciate this site. What are the ratios of Peroxide and HCl for the acid bath? I know you probibly have this posted somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks

Gary

Here's the chart which shows the ratios for dissolving gold:

goldetchtablemt9.jpg

To attack the base metals and leave the gold foil/flake I use 2 parts muratic to 1 part peroxide 3% (1/2 gallon muratic to 1 quart peroxide).

Steve

Here's the quick down and dirty:

HCl 32wt.% = Muratic acid
MnO2= Manganese Dioxide
(s) = solid
atm = standard atmospheric pressure (15 psi)
NaCN = Sodium Cyanide (
skullnbones_smallrev.jpg
)
M = Molar (Moles per liter)
Ca(OH)2 = Calcium Hydroxide (lime, quicklime)
NaOH = Sodium Hydroxide (lye, caustic soda)
Cl2 (satd.) = Saturated chlorine solution (see my Auric Chloride tutorial to make this)
HNO3 = Nitric Acid
g =gram
cm2 = square centimeter
h =hour

Did I miss anything?

Steve, I tried the HCL mix tonight on some stuff. I noticed a slight exothermic reaction after adding material to it. Just thought it might be worth making note of as I was using the weaker solution and a stronger concentrated solution, I would imagine, have a much stronger reaction. Just a thought.. thanks for pointing me in this direction from the other post I made. 8)
Derek

You can easily obtain 30% H2O2. Just go to a pool supply store. It is sold in gallons as pool clarifier.

Back