AR Fume Safety/Prevention/Treatment

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might sound crazy but I had an idea on how to control fumes. Can you use a shop vac with some sort of medium as a "filter " to takt the fumes out of your cell? Possibly connect the hose to a homemade "hood". And if this is possiblte what would you use as a filter "medium"?

Any help on this would be appreciated sine this is the concept I was thing of using in my first cell setup

GSP, could you tell what is the minimum concentration of H202 can be used ? I don't think 3% would work...
Thanks

Chris,

You been in this awhile and know these things. Check out my post on Triatomic oxygen and see what you think. ?????
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=628

Any Ideas ?

Ralph

Toadisop

AR fumes are real sneaky. At first with mild poisoning you'll have an overall sense of not well being, slight headache, slight stomach ache with loss of appetite, slightly blurred vision, slightly labored breathing.

I read somewhere that some of the AR fumes can bond almost instantly with organic materials like our skin!

With severe poisoning your eyes will leak as when crying, you'll sweat profusely, you'll drool excessively, you'll have to urinate repeatedly, you'll vomit repeatedly. You'll be really light headed and disoriented. Your body will use every way it has to try and remove the toxins from your system! You'll become very weak from lack of oxygen etc. I truly almost died, no exaggeration at all! Sorry to so graphic.

Respect these fumes! There are no acceptable amounts to breathe!
The one thing you can't buy is experience; please listen to these guys. You don't want to experience this form of poisoning.

Wayne

austex,

During my 40 years of refining, I worked with near boiling aqua regia, often in very large quantities, at least 1 out of every 3 days on the average. I've NEVER experienced any of the symptoms that you mentioned, even those you list for mild exposure. Of course, from day one, I have always had a fume hood. However, even with a fume hood, there are often some AR smells from containers sitting around and from handling solutions. I seem to have developed a 6th sense of when to breathe, when not to breathe, and when to get the hell out of the area. It became automatic. I got very good at holding my breath.

I'm not trying to reduce the dangers and you're absolutely right in your warnings.

Ralph,

I read all the stuff on ozone with interest. About my only experience is when I smell it around a busy copy machine. I can see possible applications in speeding up reactions and in waste disposal. It would be interesting to play with an ozone generator.

I'm on my second batch of AR (just a small amount) and I was thinking of doing the next small one in a beaker contained within a 25 liter plastic home brew barrel fitted with a water filled air lock. Is this a good idea? Or would the pressure build up be to great?

Pressure will certainly build up. When dissolving with AR or nitric acid, NOx gases are produced. They are very corrosive. I strongly recommend you to do it outside or in a fume hood.

toadiesop said:
No, I read it Steve. I guess I'm being a little to wordy. I'm like like sometimes :p my brain doesn't shut off and I just type my thoughts as quickly as they hit me.

I guess I'll do it like this.

1. When you have the BFRC how far away should you be without a respirator on and be safe to breathe normally? Do the fumes dissipate within a certain radius or are you still in harms way if you're, say 20 feet away.

2. Can you get up to the bucket using common sense? (wind direction, holding your breath, ect)

3. How do you know when it's safe?

4. How do you know when you're too close, or in trouble? The smells? Does your nose burn? Will you get light headed? I guess this is the main question I have. How do you know somethings wrong?

5. If that happens, what do you do?

I'm by no means a chemist, but I'm learning. 8)

I used to work on a Platform with H2S gas we put on an SCBA before we did anything. It should be the same here if you smell it it is too late you have been exposed I suggest a full facr MSA mask. H2S some people would try to test with the nose but at certain levels it kills the sense of smell, so you would never know it was there at all.

Ralph,
I read all the stuff on ozone with interest. About my only experience is when I smell it around a busy copy machine. I can see possible applications in speeding up reactions and in waste disposal. It would be interesting to play with an ozone generator.

I have been studying it's effects without air pressure. In the atmosphere.
I am also on the trail of ozone in S.C.W.O.
If it is dissolved in the water at low temp and then compressed to 3200 psi and about 700 degs then will it come out of the solution ( I think ). The amount that water can hold decreases with pressure and temp. Well if it's in solution and suddenly compressed and heated will it stay or go.

If i goes , i imagine it would do some serious damage to any metals that happened to find themselves in the vicinity of that stream. Water acts funny at this point. lol Your the physicist.

Ralph

With the patent for NOx fumes... You can add Hydrogen Peroxide to stop NO2 fumes coming out of the solution and redissolving as nitric acid.

I was the one that gave the patent number on that, Noxx. I skimmed it when I first saw it but, I seem to have forgotten about it. I'm not sure but, I think the amounts in the patent are based on using 35% H2O2. I'll try to remember to dig it out and look at it more carefully.

Patent #'s 3945865 and 3367874

Back