Red Devil lye

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67eod

Hi,
Well I finally got all of my silver clean and out of the nitric and was going to use Red devil lye to convert it from cloride, however since it is used to make meth it is no longer sold in this state. Is there anything else I can use or another process? I have read somewhere a solution of battery acid and iron will work is that right?

Oh Ralph was right I had a lot of tin in the silver. I removed the tin with Hcl and at the same time most of the copper.

Bob Noble

Yes you can convert your silver cloride to silver meltable silver metal with sulfuric acid, distilled water and steel.

Use 1ml of sulfuric for every 10ml of water. Add your steel plate and whatch the white turn grey when thisis done remove the steel, siphon and filter your material, wash it with water to clean it up and you can then melt it or put it to the side till you arre ready to melt. Save your fluid for reuse but be sure and take the steel out whie it is setting.

67eod said:
Hi,
Well I finally got all of my silver clean and out of the nitric and was going to use Red devil lye to convert it from cloride, however since it is used to make meth it is no longer sold in this state. Is there anything else I can use or another process? I have read somewhere a solution of battery acid and iron will work is that right?

Oh Ralph was right I had a lot of tin in the silver. I removed the tin with Hcl and at the same time most of the copper.

Bob Noble
67eod first off red devil lye will convert to an oxide not a chloride .
if you want a chloride use salt or HCl (muriatic acid)

Hi shyknee!
67eod said: "convert it from chloride". Since he can't get lye to convert the ag/cl to metal, Barren suggested using 10% sulphuric & distilled water & a metal higher on the reactivity list to convert ag/cl to metal. I used once aluminum. Here's a photo.

Attachments

• 4-2010 011.JPG
    4-2010 011.JPG
    420.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 4-2010 012.JPG
    4-2010 012.JPG
    489.6 KB · Views: 169
philddreamer said:
Hi shyknee!
67eod said: "convert it from chloride". Since he can't get lye to convert the ag/cl to metal, Barren suggested using 10% sulphuric & distilled water & a metal higher on the reactivity list to convert ag/cl to metal. I used once aluminum. Here's a photo.
your right I read it wrong I thought I read "convert it to chloride" my bad :shock:

Barren Realms 007 said:
Yes you can convert your silver cloride to silver meltable silver metal with sulfuric acid, distilled water and steel.
While it does no harm to use distilled water, it is not a requirement for this operation. Tap water will serve perfectly well. Remember, your silver is already a chloride.

Harold

I watched a video on YouTube for refining silver using Nitric acid to dissolve your material,
then precipitate the silver as a chloride with salt water,
filter the solution to recover the silver chloride,
then boil the AgCl in A strong solution of Sodium Hydroxide and Water to convert the AgCl into Silver Oxide.
Once the reaction is complete, start adding Karo Syrup to the solution to convert (Cement) the Silver Oxide into gray metalic silver dust that can be filtered from the solution, washed with distiled water, filtered, dried,
and finally melted by weight to a ratio of 1 part cement silver, and 2 parts borax.

Just a thought, and I figured that it applied here.

Sincerely; Rick,"The Rock Man".

I have several methods of converting silver chloride posted on my website in video format.

http://goldrecovery.us

Steve

Red Devil Lye was a victim of political persecution (it was most commonly found in such illicit clandestine laboratories).

Although Red Devil is off the shelves, there are many other sources for it. I was just at ACE the other day and they have a 100% NaOH replacement for $4.50/lb.

Lou

Its called ROOTO. Up here in Washington state you can still find it, but, its not on the shelf. You have to contact someone in customer service & kinda convince the person you are not using it for meth. I had no luck @ first Ace I visited. The next place, the gal that helped me, her husband is a gold panner & she understood what I was talking about. I picked up 6 - 16 oz'ers. :p

Phil

Attachments

• 5-2010 003 (2).JPG
    5-2010 003 (2).JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 122

Latest posts

Back