🤯

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morris,
As long you don't provide us better pictures and give us the density: NO!

It's crystaline, it has no luster, it's yellowish, it's not golden. It's a rock!
A piece of gold in a size you showed in your first pictures must have a weight far over one kilogram.
If it would be a nugget, we weren't jealous, but from the information we have, me, and another couple people are quite sure it's a rock. Sorry.

Blurry pics. Assuming unit on scale is grams or kilograms. Too blurry to tell. If grams, the rock is too light for any significant gold. If pounds, WAY too light.

How did you test the rock? If any kind of test designed for refined gold, you may have chosen an incorrect test. I prefer assays.

Time for more coffee.

What you MAY have, is gold ore. It is not considered a nugget. If it does contain gold in a lattice type combination of quartz and gold, it is considered a mass of gold and quartz. You may call it affectionately as " your little nugget", but calling it that as gospel on this forum, you are setting yourself up for a ridiculous amount of ridicule. A good amount of the people on this forum know there stuff, you will never gain credence or pass muster with these claims of posting mediocre pictures and stating such claims, without the analytical data these people use, some on a day to day basis. Please do your homework before stating whatever the hell you are trying to say. Although you are a rather unusual form of entertainment.

What you MAY have, is gold ore. It is not considered a nugget. If it does contain gold in a lattice type combination of quartz and gold, it is considered a mass of gold and quartz. You may call it affectionately as " your little nugget", but calling it that as gospel on this forum, you are setting yourself up for a ridiculous amount of ridicule. A good amount of the people on this forum know there stuff, you will never gain credence or pass muster with these claims of posting mediocre pictures and stating such claims, without the analytical data these people use, some on a day to day basis. Please do your homework before stating whatever the hell you are trying to say. Although you are a rather unusual form of entertainment.
I never once said it was a nugget. I said crystalline gold specimen.

@MorrisTheProspecter,​

The point that is being made is that you originally just posted some pictures of rocks on a precious metal refining refining forum. As this forum exists to both share information and encourage/mentor our peers, new and old, in the art of refining, I believe most people found your post to be lacking in the former and have nothing to do with the latter. What would be better from our (my) perspective, would be if you provided some context to the information (pictures) you posted. Answering some of the following questions would be helpful:

1 - What type of mineral is it? (This forum is primary for Precious Metal Refining with a foundation in Hoke's Book, not so much mining/ore processing.)​

While we do have some professional refiners who go from ore-in-the-ground to bars and bullion, I believe most of us are hobby/semi-professional refiners. Please provide a bit more context in regards to what you are sharing. What is it, what elements does it contain, etc. I read that you were using acid to remove the quartz, but have you ensured there are no toxic metal gases that are evolving by treating ore with acid? Just give the name and of the mineral/ore so we can do some independent research and add information to this post.

2 - Do you have a copy of a assay you would be willing to share? (Thus showing yield %, etc.)​

The proof is in the pudding, and the pudding in this case is an independent validation of what you saying you have. Once a month we have someone come on here offering up some hot deal on ore/metal/etc. that is too good to be true and is a scam. Check out the Rogues Gallery to see what I mean. I'm not accusing you of being a "rogue" and/or trying to sell a scam, but since your post lacks information, it makes a lot of people skeptical.

3 - How are you processing this mineral? (You mentioned an acid bath to remove quartz, what is the process you are following?)​

People come here wanting to learn and if you could answer some of the above questions, that would be more helpful than just posting a few pictures. Are you acid reducing the ore? (That has been frowned upon due to toxic gas generation and general waste of acid in this forum in the past). How will you process the gold out? Aqua Regia? Poor-Man's AR, Mercury leeching, just send to a refiner, etc?

Anyways, cool pictures of rocks, I mean everybody loves rocks, right? They would look great in my five year old daughter's rock collection. Here on the other hand, unless they provide context in regards to precious metal refining, they are just yellow rocks. I appreciate that you want to contribute, so I ask that you please do so and share some information regarding these cool looking rocks.

Elemental

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back