1st time using nitric

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlesncharg

Using dilute nitric acid to dissolve base metals. Homemade nitric i should add. I made my nitric using the method of mixing nitrate salt(potassium nitrate), hydrchloric acid, and copper. Bubbling the gas released through cold hydrogen peroxide 3%. Put my gold plated pins in a jar and added the nitric acid. Diluted acid 3 to 1 acid to water as it was already somewhat dilute. After 2 days the reaction seems to have stopped. I'm guessing the nitric is saturated. As seen in the pictures below. Its a blueish green color with lots of sediment. The sediment seems to be a light blueish grey. My question is do i add more nitric on top, decant off whats there then add fresh acid to whats left, or...?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    715.1 KB
My first thought would be to apply some heat if you haven't already done so. It will help drive the reaction with the nitric acid to completion.

Then, I would let it settle, decant the solution, then add more nitric if it looks like there is still base metal left.

Dave

Don't heat that jar your using. Find a suitable container, even an old coffee pot. Don't boil, just some use good heat.

That's not the best way to make nitric.

Hey man you need some water a few hundred ml not much and be calm add some heat.

filter and see what's there.

yon may need to rinse and repeat.

Most problems aren't problems just impatience.

Where are you at?

Eric

Latest posts

Back