A little help & advice needed

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetpacksalvadori

A little advise & direction needed please!

Day 1

I have built my first gold de-plating cell using sulphuric acid, lead (cathode) & copper (Anode), the system is running at 12VDC and 5 AMPS.

As a beginner I was quite deflated about the initial switch on as nothing appeared to happen (watched it for 30mins). Deduced that the dish is to wide and moved the copper basket closer to the cathode and bingo a reaction started.

I only had a single item in tray for the first few tests and this appeared to go OK, the second test I added a few items to the basket and this is when I noticed that the cathode was becoming covered in copper and the acid had a blue tinge to it (assuming copper in solution here) the ends of the copper on the cathode are covered in black gold and it is de-plating the material.

The copper basket was dissolved at the leading edge facing the cathode and all items fell into the acid, damn fished out with tweezers. Stopped process and thought through.

Day 2

The basket as you will see from the photos and video had an open front, decided to try a closed basket which did not go well as it was dissolved in about 20mins again at the leading edge.

Reverted to an open basket but reduced the size of the leading edge lip as this only prevents items from falling out. Again observed that copper was building on the cathode with gold at the tips.

Disposed of the basket and connected the anode direct to a long item and held it in the acid about two inches from the cathode and it de-plated the submersed end with no copper on the cathode (I am scrapping the cathode clean each test).

Wash water is also filled with copper particals

Switched off and put basket(s) in a bucket of water, best to post for advice before proceeding further.

Questions

• Is the distance between the basket and cathode of major import if the copper is being dissolved?
  • The items in the basket are only de-plating on the exposed sides and not the side where it is touching the copper basket, should this happen?
  • How do I stop the basket from disintegrating?
  • I have also noted that I have some small gold flakes floating on the surface of the acid, is this de-plated or has the basemetal underneath been dissolved and the gold floated off?
  • Why do some items in the basket not react?
I have quite a lot of this available and would like to fine tune the process but a little lost for thoughts.

PICS & VID attached.

Attachments

• Cathode after first use.JPG
    Cathode after first use.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Cathode pic in use.JPG
    Cathode pic in use.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Items partially deplated.JPG
    Items partially deplated.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Set up.JPG
    Set up.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Floating gold in use.MOV
    7.8 MB
  • In use item not reacting.MOV
    13.9 MB
  • In use parial deplate.MOV
    11.7 MB
A little advise & direction needed please!

Day 1

I have built my first gold de-plating cell using sulphuric acid, lead (cathode) & copper (Anode), the system is running at 12VDC and 5 AMPS.

As a beginner I was quite deflated about the initial switch on as nothing appeared to happen (watched it for 30mins). Deduced that the dish is to wide and moved the copper basket closer to the cathode and bingo a reaction started.

I only had a single item in tray for the first few tests and this appeared to go OK, the second test I added a few items to the basket and this is when I noticed that the cathode was becoming covered in copper and the acid had a blue tinge to it (assuming copper in solution here) the ends of the copper on the cathode are covered in black gold and it is de-plating the material.

The copper basket was dissolved at the leading edge facing the cathode and all items fell into the acid, damn fished out with tweezers. Stopped process and thought through.

Day 2

The basket as you will see from the photos and video had an open front, decided to try a closed basket which did not go well as it was dissolved in about 20mins again at the leading edge.

Reverted to an open basket but reduced the size of the leading edge lip as this only prevents items from falling out. Again observed that copper was building on the cathode with gold at the tips.

Disposed of the basket and connected the anode direct to a long item and held it in the acid about two inches from the cathode and it de-plated the submersed end with no copper on the cathode (I am scrapping the cathode clean each test).

Wash water is also filled with copper particals

Switched off and put basket(s) in a bucket of water, best to post for advice before proceeding further.

Questions

• Is the distance between the basket and cathode of major import if the copper is being dissolved?
  • The items in the basket are only de-plating on the exposed sides and not the side where it is touching the copper basket, should this happen?
  • How do I stop the basket from disintegrating?
  • I have also noted that I have some small gold flakes floating on the surface of the acid, is this de-plated or has the basemetal underneath been dissolved and the gold floated off?
  • Why do some items in the basket not react?
I have quite a lot of this available and would like to fine tune the process but a little lost for thoughts.

PICS & VID attached.
What is you Sulfuric acid Concentration?

It does not give a concentration as such, does detail this "Sulphuric Acid 0.05M"
You definitely need to study more.
0.05M means a molarity of 0.05 mol per Liter.
A very strange concentration, less than 5 is considered dilute and to run a cell you need it to be in the 17-18M range.

You need at least 90% preferably 95%+ to run a Sulfuric cell.
Where did you find the description and recipe to run it?

And did you start this before finishing your initial study in the forum?
Put all your Chemicals safely aside and start studying.
When you are ready to start again present your plan and we can guide you if necessary.

The reason concentrated H2SO4 is used is because copper and some other base metals are not soluble in it. Even water drawn from the air in time will make it pretty much useless for the cell. 96% is what i use.

Latest posts

Back