A new, efficient way to search

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4metals

Staff member
Supporting Member
We have been experimenting with a method of doing a targeted search. The reason we feel this is needed is that there is a lot of information on this forum and sometimes you just want a "proven" thread to refer to without pages of hits to go through.

By working diligently, Nugget has come up with a way to search threads which will only return threads that moderators have edited with a key word. We have started slow but if this works as I imagine (I do have quite the imagination!) this can help us index useful threads easily. But this is a big project for just the mods, so we can use some help.

to start off modestly, we have identified and edited 7 subjects.
1 stannous chloride
2 cementation
3 inquartation
4 building a hood
5 building a fume scrubber
6 poor mans nitric acid. only1 entry so far need input
7 gas melt furnace

to access these threads, and only the threads we feel are most useful and difficult to find, you will need to use the search function. By putting in the search term exactly as it is listed below, you will be directed only to those threads. The syntax is an underline character _ followed by the keyword, followed by another underline character _

The 7 keywords to use are
stannous
cementation
inquart
hood
fumescrubber
poormansnitric
gasmeltfurnace

these searches will only call up threads that moderators have approved and edited so it works.

If any members can suggest additional threads to add please PM me (4metals), Frugalrefiner or Yggdrasil and we can read the thread and add it. All moderators have the ability to add threads but for now the 3 mods listed are on board. Soon, I will post a search thread with all of the keywords in use to make searches more targeted. That list will be a sticky so it remains on top and is easy to find. Often there are threads we want to refer to for reference and cannot locate them easily. Hopefully with your co-operation we can grow this to be useful to our refining needs.

Also note that because the syntax used for the listed thread is in this thread as well, this thread will come up in the search.

Last edited:
Nice, roll-your-own-tags! I think this method y'all came up with will be a good balance between indexing good information, while not putting undue workload on moderators to clean up and prettify a thread for curating in the Library. By curating the tags, you get to choose what type of info is most important to be able to find accurately first.

I only just now noticed that Tag functionality is already built-in to the software, but it looks like people perhaps tag their own posts and make up their own tags. Is there a way that y'all can make it so only Moderators can create tags and apply them to posts?
https://goldrefiningforum.com/tags/ < explore around on this page, I think it will make more sense for you to see it, than for me to describe it.

We tried tags and prefixes and what we ended up with allows the editing by moderators long after the editing by OP's expires. But in the long run it depends on members suggesting threads to highlight.

Precipitation and its related wording would be nice.

The poormans mixtures would be helpful to quite a few as it comes up regularly.
But
Edit for spelling.

My experience came from larger lots and commercial refining so personally I would need other input to recommend AP threads, although I think they will be helpful.
I’m thinking more along the lines of poormans nitric and/or poormans AR. Although an easy to find explanation of using proper methods for AP would be good also. The nitric has been explained many times, both butcher and Lazersteve gave easy to follow posts from several years back.

Maybe some of the better articulated members could post a how to and link to that thread??

We tried tags and prefixes and what we ended up with allows the editing by moderators long after the editing by OP's expires. But in the long run it depends on members suggesting threads to highlight.
Ah yeah, I forgot about edit expiration, that does make this method much better than the tags. I think the stickied post with the list of keywords will definitely help remind folks to suggest threads.

I appreciate y'all putting this together for us! I'm excited for the new Golden Words, Golden Nuggets of Knowledge, The Golden Keys...

Latest posts

Back