Agua Regia need help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What were you digesting to get to this point? What is the reference to iron sulfate? Was an attempt made to drop the gold with ferrous sulfate?

In order to help you we need more details.

What were you digesting to get to this point? What is the reference to iron sulfate? Was an attempt made to drop the gold with ferrous sulfate?

In order to help you we need more details.
I had a black earth in my hand. I prepared royal jelly. then i added sulfamic acid to make it neutral. They said on Turkish youtube channels that gold will collapse with iron sulfate. I added ferrous sulfate. aqua regia did not become black. suddenly turned yellow and left this residue.

Once the black earth reacted with the royal jelly (I assume this means some form of concentrate dissolved in aqua regia) did you test it with stannous chloride to determine if there was any precious metals dissolved in the solution?

If it was positive for gold with the stannous test, it was filtered to remove the solids and then you added sulfamic acid. Did the solution remain all liquid or did some precipitate form as in the photo you posted?

Did the cream colored precipitate form after you added the ferrous sulfate?

Was the ferrous sulfate tan in color or green crystals?

I did not use stannous chloride. First, the soil reacted with aqua regia. Then I did the filtering. remained completely liquid. I used sulfamic acid to make nitric acid neutral. I used ferrous sulfate for metal separation. (iron sulphate is blue in color. It has crystals at the bottom.) but my mixture did not turn black. it turned yellow. Then this sediment formed at the bottom of the completely liquid mixture. The liquid became red in color.
Once the black earth reacted with the royal jelly (I assume this means some form of concentrate dissolved in aqua regia) did you test it with stannous chloride to determine if there was any precious metals dissolved in the solution?

If it was positive for gold with the stannous test, it was filtered to remove the solids and then you added sulfamic acid. Did the solution remain all liquid or did some precipitate form as in the photo you posted?

Did the cream colored precipitate form after you added the ferrous sulfate?

Was the ferrous sulfate tan in color or green crystals?

OK, a lot to go over here. Why do you assume the soil has gold or other precious metals in it? When the soil reacted, did any red fume come off the reaction? The aqua regia may react with plain old garden soil so that is no indication of values.

Please post a photo of your ferrous sulfate as I suspect it has oxidized to a brownish yellow ferric sulfate which will not drop any gold from solution.

The thing with refining with acids is that the acid gives no visible clue that it is holding any precious metals. So a method called stannous chloride testing is literally your eyes when it comes to knowing if your sample contains gold. Go to this link to see how to make it and how it works. It should be your first step in identifying precious metals.

stannous chloride video

I did not use stannous chloride. First, the soil reacted with aqua regia. Then I did the filtering. remained completely liquid. I used sulfamic acid to make nitric acid neutral. I used ferrous sulfate for metal separation. (iron sulphate is blue in color. It has crystals at the bottom.) but my mixture did not turn black. it turned yellow. Then this sediment formed at the bottom of the completely liquid mixture. The liquid became red in color.
There is plenty to adress here.
First of all Aqua Regia or other acids are usually not recommended for ores.
It is too expensive and might not be duitable, it also may create toxic gases if the ire contains Arsenic, Mercury or other toxic substances. So make sure to test it first.
Next “Soil” usually don’t contain Gold, so you need to describe better what you used and where it came from.
Sulfamic acid is used on filtered clear solutions containing surplus Nitric acid, not to neutralise it (bring it to pH7) but to destroy/convert the Nitric and NOx to Sulfuric acid. It has to be done warm around, 80 C.
Ferous Sulphate is green when fresh, which gave it the name Copperas, since it resembles Copper.
Unless you use Stannous and test your solution there is no way to know if there are anything of value in the sulution, so you NEED to test.
So please describe the process in more detail.

Edit:
4 metals beat me to it 😊

Latest posts

Back