Aluminum and "Gold"

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only Nitric I have is to test platinum. A small tester bottle full. I will test a small piece and post photos.
It need some time to penetrate and dissolve the layer, maybe Nickel or some other barrier metal.
You can not use HCl for this, as it will dissolve the Aluminum.

It need some time to penetrate and dissolve the layer, maybe Nickel or some other barrier metal.
You can not use HCl for this, as it will dissolve the Aluminum.
I have no nitric. The test kit has hcl in it. It is very hard to get nitric on Oahu without a business license. I have seen the posts on how to make it with fertilizer. From the salt air hitting the pieces it looks like a white power is forming after about 6 years I would say. Is it possible to use salt water on a piece for a couple months? I could possible scrape off some parts the oxidation has already started and test that. "The Patriot Act", made it hard to get this acid.

I took one piece to a pawn shop to test, he told me that there would not be enough gold to make it worth it. I highy doubt that.
If you plan to dissolve all, it will take a lot of acid.
The layer of Gold may not be so thick but since it is a large area it may be a bit anyway.
Salt will not take it in a time we humans will find interesting.

Are there not weak Nitric in hydroponic shops and such?
In UK I have heard they can buy 3% for agricultural use.

If you plan to dissolve all, it will take a lot of acid.
The layer of Gold may not be so thick but since it is a large area it may be a bit anyway.
Salt will not take it in a time we humans will find interesting.

Are there not weak Nitric in hydroponic shops and such?
In UK I have heard they can buy 3% for agricultural use.
Sir, my better half does not want me using acids. She is telling me to leave it to the professionals. I am looking for someone to test a piece for me and they can keep the sample. Like the one I posted. Someone like LazerSteve and such. I like the idea of doing it myself. I actual got some stump remover. I am actually looking into starting a business so that I can just purchase the acid here. We do have a hydroponic shop on the island and I will inquire this week. Feels like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. But being careful and safety are worth the wait. I have started this in 2008.

I took one piece to a pawn shop to test, he told me that there would not be enough gold to make it worth it. I highy doubt that.
Yup, I wouldn't take that advice without making sure either Rob. Are you in the UK? If so whereabouts?

Jon

He’s in Hawaii, if I recall correctly.

In any case, could also be tarnished CDMA gear. That runs over 1% silver but definitely not as good as gold plated RF.

He’s in Hawaii, if I recall correctly.

In any case, could also be tarnished CDMA gear. That runs over 1% silver but definitely not as good as gold plated RF.
I'd suggest that's unlikely Lou given the pics. The tarnished silver stuff tends to be less uniform and with far more colour spread. Seems "redder" too. So whilst it may be a trick of the light this certainly appears more gold like.

Attachments

• Tarnished Silver..PNG
    Tarnished Silver..PNG
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
I'd suggest that's unlikely Lou given the pics. The tarnished silver stuff tends to be less uniform and with far more colour spread. Seems "redder" too. So whilst it may be a trick of the light this certainly appears more gold like.
I don’t know Jon.

I’ve done about 20 tons of CDMA gear back in 2011 and some had a gold-hue that was very uniform. No gold though.

I don’t know Jon.

I’ve done about 20 tons of CDMA gear back in 2011 and some had a gold-hue that was very uniform. No gold though.
Yeah as I said it's possible. I haven't seen every type of gear out there for sure. When you posted I trotted out into the warehouse because the colour was nagging at me and even taking the pic there's definitely some gold colour in the tarnish. We did send 22 tonnes of Ericsson 3G clamshells out a few weeks ago and they were all over the place colourwise. We've got another load in shortly I'll take a closer look and some pics this time.

I don't sorry to say. I will leave the pieces in until the weekend or longer.
Stannous is easy just drop some Tin in HCl in a small bottle and let it dissolve.
If all dissolves add a little bit more so there is little bit Tin left.
Now you have Stannous Chloride for testing.

Going to let it set another couple days then rinse. I think the best way to get ride of the copper and aluminum is to put the pieces in distilled water and salt and just let it sit for 1 to 2 years. I have reverse electroplated some spoons in salt water. May do the same with these. Thanks for taking your time to help.

Attachments

• 20240427_092251.jpg
    20240427_092251.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240427_092315.jpg
    20240427_092315.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240427_092257.jpg
    20240427_092257.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Back