Another newbie, starting with shor Subzero

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

OK, so this is my first post after reading this forum intensely for 2 weeks (my boss would kill me). Last year (before I found this site) I had bought Shor's Subzero little starter kit. I am here to make sure I do things right, looks like I am at the right place. After reading a few of the posts about Shor I am a little worried that I have already started out all wrong. I haven't attempted to process anything yet, only harvesting. I have noticed that the process that Shor provides is very similar to lazersteve's videos(Thanks a bunch for the videos, they are great!!). Once the Shor instructions go to Precipitating it seems to differ greatly. For one lazersteve's video is much more informative (more props to Steve), Shor's instructions get a little hazy. Basically I guess my first of many questions is should i use Shor's stuff, or scrap it (no pun intended) and use the AP process?

Thanks for any help...

I suggest ditching the Shor stuff entirely. I am positive that you can get the job done with readily available equipment and chemicals. No need for secret formulas and instructions that are deliberately vague. (This site is Shor's nemesis!)

What type of material have you collected?

I refined for over 20 years, and I didn't need no stinkin' Shor. :wink:

There is nothing about gold and silver refining that need tie you to any source that sells magic solutions or compounds.

Harold

But I'm curious:

What does the MSDS say about sub-zero? It should describe the active ingredient.

"storm precipitant" is nothing more than SMB

skyline27, I have collected a couple hundred computers. Any ideas on what to do with the monitors?

Good question. I'm in the same boat. My strategy right now is to hoard them until there are more options. I avoid picking them up and charge a fee when I do. I expect there to be better options within the next few years. The wheels are starting to turn on the e-scrap problem. If you have enough to fill a container, you should be able to sell them off to a scrap broker. In theory anyway.

What are your plans for the computers?

My way of tackling monitors is take what I have to... avoid what I can. The ones I do have I disassemble for the copper and aluminum. The is a couple pounds of copper per monitor. And when free drop off in the spring happens I go drop them off. I am considering saving the plastic till I have a ton or 2 then shred it and sell it. the problem is the glass.

banjags said:
My way of tackling monitors is take what I have to... avoid what I can. The ones I do have I disassemble for the copper and aluminum. The is a couple pounds of copper per monitor. And when free drop off in the spring happens I go drop them off. I am considering saving the plastic till I have a ton or 2 then shred it and sell it. the problem is the glass.

You can cut the faceplate off of the Monitor tube which is high-lead glass and sell them as skylights for Nuclear fallout shelters. :twisted:

Back