any opinion welcome

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kole55

greeting. my question is whether there must be only non-magnetic needles in the AP or can they put both magnetic and non-magnetic needles together.I do everything in one bucket and periodically filter. Finally I wash the flakes with HCL on the filter. After rinsing with HCL I wash with hot water and then the process with HCL and bleach. Does it affect the yield if the magnetic and non-magnetic pins go together? AP.Thank you6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg11.jpg

kole55,
It may be a language difference, that makes your question hard for me to understand.

When asking about having both magnetic and non-magnetic needles together in acid peroxide, are you asking if we can have copper-based alloys of electronic connector pins and iron-based alloy gold plated pins in the same solution of the Cupric Chloride (also called the acid peroxide or AP leach)?

You can process both alloys at the same time in the same leach without any problems.
The only difference is you are now working with a different leach with only a slight difference in the chemistry involved.

The cupric chloride leach (referred to as AP or acid peroxide leach) is an etching process used in the electronic industry to etch the pure copper traces into thin copper sheets to make the electrical traces and pads on circuit boards, this leach uses copper ions to etch copper metal.

Another process which is also used in the electronic industry to etch the copper traces on circuit boards is the ferric chloride etch, this leach uses iron ions to dissolve copper.

Both of these processes we also use to etch copper and other base metals in the recovery of gold.

In our recovery process of electronic pins (maybe what you are calling needles), or whatever another electronic scrap we are dealing with we are almost never dealing with pure copper but alloys of copper, and alloys of iron like Kovar and depending on what we are processing we can have a slew of other base metals involved in the solution.

The different base metals change the chemistry a bit from being a pure copper leach but it still all works out in the end with the same or very similar results.

You can start out with a cupric chloride leach (AP) and end up with both cupric and ferric ions in solution, both attacking base metals of copper and the many other base metals which are more reactive than copper.
you can start out with a cupric chloride leach and end up running a ferric chloride leach as you reuse the solution, both of these leaches work very similar with only minor differences that you may not even notice unless you understand the chemistry of each.

For a better Understanding do a study of both of these leaches to gain an understanding of how they work cupric chloride leach and the ferric chloride leach work very similar.

These may help to answer some questions or just generate a whole nother set of questions,

https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB...&hilit=collection+of+some+older+posts#p204406

https://goldrefiningforum.com/searc...er+iron+chloride&c[users]=butcher&o=relevance

Very nice job on the gold :G

Latest posts

Back