AP Cell Fun #1

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeforbes

Here is the first in a line of AP cell experiments I'm working on. I'll update the thread with pictures of the precipitations and final products as I get them done.

For this one I used a large cell, with a very powerful air pump. It's attached to a jacuzzi mat that would be placed in a bath tub to make bubbles that is at the bottom of the cell. I forgot to take pictures of it however. I'll get some tomorrow and add them to this thread.

It took two days for the the material to fall away from the boards it was on, and for the copper to completely dissolve from under the gold. I'm very impressed with how fast it worked. It seemed the large amount of bubbles made the copper (II) chloride needed for the reaction very quickly, turning the liquid a nice emerald green within just a few hours of starting it.

I'll be starting another batch in this cell tomorrow morning.

I'd love to post pictures and information about the source material, but I am under an NDA with the owner of it, who has consigned the material to my refining partners and me to process. The same will be true for most of the material I'll be posting in these treads, with the exception of a lot of 13.4 pounds of ram and another lot of 99 Intel Celeron processors. I'll post those as they progress.

Let's just say that the material I can't post pictures of isn't your average e-waste.

After the cell had processed, I siphoned the liquid and filtered it. The first picture is a close up of the filter used to filter the siphoned liquid, the second picture is a close up of the bottom of the cell, and the third picture is of the filter and the cell together.

More soon, I hope you enjoy! :)

Attachments

• AP Cell and Filter.jpg
    AP Cell and Filter.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 409
  • AP Cell.jpg
    AP Cell.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 409
  • Filter from AP Cell.jpg
    Filter from AP Cell.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 409
Update - I started the cell again with fresh material. I used the same copper (II) chloride from the last cell, and added 1/2 gallon HCl and 1 QT 3% H2O2.

Two hours into the cell running, there are gold foils floating around in it.

I have smaller cells set up that aren't working nearly as well. It seems that the amount of bubbles plays a very huge role in how fast the cell works.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=11181&start=40&hilit=eat+copper#p110386

Latest posts

Back