AP Mistake - I added a few drops of nitric

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crank

Im certain I will get an internet scalding, but i feel its deserved. While I admit my shame, I want to ensure I do what is safe.
As the title states, I made a mistake with my AP solution. I have a total 200 ml of AP with a bubbler trying to break down some pins. I was wanting to add a few drops of peroxide to the mix to add a charge, but by accident, grabbed a pipette that had nitric acid. I dropped in only a few drops- probably only .25 to .50 ml before I realized my mistake. Now I'm sweating on what I should do.
Please note, my operation is outdoors in a well ventilated area and is accessed only my myself. After realizing my mistake, I left the area.
I've searched the forum and haven't come up with any accounts of someone reporting this issue. Can someone offer a suggestion on how to proceed?

H2O2 is an oxidizer. HNO3 is an oxidizer. With the amounts you've stated, I don't expect you should have any real problems.

Adding excess oxidizer (either H2O2 or HNO3) can dissolve some gold off your plated pins. But in both cases, if you allow the leach to run, especially if it becomes saturated in copper, any gold that has been dissolved will cement out of solution and remain along with the undissolved foils.

Don't do that again.;)

Dave

H2O2 is an oxidizer. HNO3 is an oxidizer. With the amounts you've stated, I don't expect you should have any real problems.

Adding excess oxidizer (either H2O2 or HNO3) can dissolve some gold off your plated pins. But in both cases, if you allow the leach to run, especially if it becomes saturated in copper, any gold that has been dissolved will cement out of solution and remain along with the undissolved foils.

Don't do that again.;)

Dave
Thank you friend! I expect more from myself and rookie mistakes like these make me feel uneasy.
I will likely pour it off and replace it with clean AP. Hopefully the yield will have a minimal impact.

Thank you friend! I expect more from myself and rookie mistakes like these make me feel uneasy.
I will likely pour it off and replace it with clean AP. Hopefully the yield will have a minimal impact.
I'm less concerned by the temporary loss of Gold, than the fact that you seem to lack order and system in the lab.
With other chemicals that can lead to everything from splashes gases and injuries.

Another thing is that your AP do not need H2O2 at all, just oxygen, so an air bubbler will fix that.

Latest posts

Back