As simply as possible; where can I get ORE assayed?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have found a stash of my grandfathers culled ore from around 1942. There is an old assay slip with it stating 3% [not .o3% THREE%]gold and silver and then copper and the rest. I have maybe 5 tons of thumbnail to fist size of this ore.

All I want is an assay done to see if this old slip is from this particular batch like the notes say it is.

Simply; Where can I get get this crushed and reliably assayed? I'm not looking for PPM, I'm looking for percentages.

I've shaken down this forum and all I find is 'how to' no direct 'where to'.

Percentages and ppm are interchangeable.

You've got five tons eh? 3% seems a bit much for any ore...

Anyway, sample it as randomly as you may, and send it in to Ledoux. They handle ores.

Lou said:
You've got five tons eh? 3% seems a bit much for any ore...
Depends on the ore, Lou.
I processed one that ran in excess of 300 ounces/ton gold. Run the numbers on that and the 3% doesn't look all that unreasonable.

It should be noted, in the ore I ran, gold was readily visible to the naked eye. I would expect that with 3% ore, it would be obvious.

I wonder----was the ore in question from Colorado?

Harold

Probably a telluride or sulphide then. Most gold ores of that level are probably best called concentrates *chuckle*.

Either way, if it's 3% per ton and he has 5 tons, I'd be quite happy to purchase it after an ump assay. It'd be over 5 million in gold.

Not being a chemist, I'm not sure I can define exactly what I ran, but it obviously contained sulfur, and the fact that I needed bromine in order for the cyanide to dissolve the values, leads me to believe it was tellurium bearing. I also know it came from Colorado, and was not the highest grade that was available to the buyer. He claimed, at the time, that there was ore that assayed in excess of 600 ounces/ton.

I still have some samples of the material I processed, and have posted pictures of the ore previously. It's a sight to behold!
I have a small amount of HFl. I may etch a small piece at some time in the future. It would be interesting to see the gold without the matrix.

Harold

Harold_V said:
I have a small amount of HFl. I may etch a small piece at some time in the future. It would be interesting to see the gold without the matrix

I have seen pieces etched like that and some are truly spectacular. Stream abraded and beaten nuggets are still beautiful but the fineness of detail that etched pieces have are simular in apearance of a silver crystal in form with gold's luster.

An excellent assayer is Advanced Analytical out of Arizona. Their ICP very closely matches what can be achieved with wet assay only they show slightly higher.
Ron

ducksface said:
I have maybe 5 tons of thumbnail to fist size of this ore.
Simply; Where can I get get this crushed and reliably assayed? I'm not looking for PPM, I'm looking for percentages

Check out this link.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=5393&start=0

Sincerely; Rick. "The Rock Man".

Back