Ashed chips concentrate, TAKE TWO

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanMarco

Hello!
I am back. I have incinerated and ashed more chips.
I did the concentrate with water too.
I already had a similar post as the previous time, I used HCl to dissolve base metals.
Now i have some extra nitric, and i would like to try that. But wouldn't adding nitric to the concentrate produce metastannic acid?
the concentrate is technically the heavier fraction, so gold, lead, tin, copper.
If i were to add nitric, base metals would go quick, leaving gold, maybe pt if present.
if i were to add hcl first, maybe tin, along with lead, copper (as it is in oxide form it would become cucl2) and no metastannic acid.
I am undecided.
Any recommendation?

Hello!
I am back. I have incinerated and ashed more chips.
I did the concentrate with water too.
I already had a similar post as the previous time, I used HCl to dissolve base metals.
Now i have some extra nitric, and i would like to try that. But wouldn't adding nitric to the concentrate produce metastannic acid?
the concentrate is technically the heavier fraction, so gold, lead, tin, copper.
If i were to add nitric, base metals would go quick, leaving gold, maybe pt if present.
if i were to add hcl first, maybe tin, along with lead, copper (as it is in oxide form it would become cucl2) and no metastannic acid.
I am undecided.
Any recommendation?
With tin you mean solder, and no bronze?Then go for a HCl leach first to get the lead(why do you expect lead?) and tin.

And do not alloy the concentrate.

Copper can dissolve, if Copper oxide is present as you say, but this will be slowly, and only with the addition of air bubbled through.
This will save on nitric use, and you can leach the solids in AR, skipping the nitric step entirely.

If you want results fast, rinse out the HCl to pH neutral with distilled water before going for the nitric step to get the copper.

I don't expect Pt in Chips, but you never know. Leave that for the stockpot and the used AR filters pot.

Latest posts

Back