Ball Mill

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a video explaining the grinding that occurs in a ball mill.

Many people think the ball drops down on the particles to be ground.

The actual milling occurs as the particles are held by centrifugal force in the grinding media.

Notice how the particles remain in between the balls and are ground almost continously.

In addition to critical speed the size of the balls also influences the grinding. A mix of different size balls are the most efficient.

The larger open spaces provide a course grind and the smaller spaces provide a finer grind.

Wet is faster than dry. And of course longer run time grinds more complete.

Other factors include the starting size, hardness and how fine you want when your complete.

https://youtu.be/L6sgGXXYdEU

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yggdrasil said:
Please forgive with my uninformed approach, but what is RVEC?

A terribly technical piece of engineered equipment. A Rotary Value Enhancement Concentrator.

To the uninitiated it looks and operates very much like a cement mixer.

Aaah, it definately is a delicate and valuable tool for certain operations I guess.
The good thing is, I expect it to be quite versatile and easy to adjust for other operational envelopes :D
If I'm not on a wild goose chase, again :D :wink:

Well, ignore my post and get back to the task at hand

Edited for clarity :mrgreen:

anachronism said:
nickvc said:
anachronism said:
Absolutely correct and I hope people get it.

How long before you accepted the RVEC as a useful tool :eek: :lol:

A long long time. And it's not accepted- it's just utilised occasionally..... 8) 8) 8) 8)

I don't think it can be much more accepted. Add a plastic drum to it and you not only have an RVEC, but also a ICED...oh the things that can be accomplished in an intimate contact enhancement device.

Even better yet would be a titanium drum.

I think the beauty of the RVEC (I like this) is that it can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it. You can just mash the crap out of stuff like a caveman, or efficiently grind to consistent particle size.

Back