Barren and Joem Conversation

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Steve
You can also delete any of my non relevent posts that go no where.
But might I suggest you start a new thread explaing all this and have people discuss and express concerns there. This thread between barron and myself has now been overshadowed and now we have both read it it no longer pertains to pm recovery.

Again, my intention is not to delete anyone's post, but I will likely be moving some around. I may even end up combining a few of the threads for continuity sake.

Just so I'm clear, this is not about any one person in particular, or any thread or post, it's about making the forum a better place to be.

Steve

I'm not hurt or insulted in any way. You just do what you have to do as a moderator. No worries.

You know what's worse than off topic posts?

Seemingly inflammatory or argumentative posts that certain members like to make and then edit de facto when a small flame war has started or moderation begins to get involved.
It is very irksome indeed to see only one person's response to obvious instigation and prevents me and my fellow moderators from arbitrating disputes effectively.

I've seen this multiple times by a handful of members who should know better. I've now taken to just deleting those posts that are edited to have no content at all because they serve no purpose and take up space in the thread and disturb the flow of reading. It angers me to see a thread go south do to silly ad hominems and implications over light bulbs and such but only see ONE side of it.

Let me make something abundantly clear-- if you need to edit your post such that a "?" or a blank message space is left, you really need to reconsider posting such remarks. Don't have anything nice to say? Don't say it on the open forum, I don't want the extra work and bad atmosphere. If you've really got a problem with someone and need to act like a kid, chew them out privately until they tell you to cease and desist (which you will do). Open harassment and not letting things go is childish and churlish behavior that is not conducive to the educational ends of a forum.

Our moderation team doesn't single people out--the offenders usually do it themselves and get earmarked as troublemakers. That someone would even dare imply that is upsetting because it is entirely without merit. Harold, Steve, Chris, 4metals, Noxx, and myself go out of our way to decide remediation in a democratic and fair way; it's actually very difficult to get permanently banned, especially if you're a contributing member that is obviously sharp.

Some may argue that the right to edit replies should lie with the poster. I certainly agree, but I'll temper that with this caveat: if you edit your reply to preclude or interfere with moderation, you will be held culpable more so than the instigator.
Hear me now and be warned! I will not tolerate this revisionist history.
I expect my fellow moderators will hold my position with me.

Lou said:
Our moderation team doesn't single people out--the offenders usually do it themselves and get earmarked as troublemakers. That someone would even dare imply that is upsetting because it is entirely without merit. Harold, Steve, Chris, 4metals, Noxx, and myself go out of our way to decide remediation in a democratic and fair way; it's actually very difficult to get permanently banned, especially if you're a contributing member that is obviously sharp.
My experience, thus far, is that those that are trouble will continue to be. It's a mindset---one that is not easily abandoned. They often see themselves as a victim, when, in fact, they are the instigator.

Some may argue that the right to edit replies should lie with the poster. I certainly agree, but I'll temper that with this caveat: if you edit your reply to preclude or interfere with moderation, you will be held culpable more so than the instigator.
One of the capabilities of administration is the ability to lock individual posts (I have administrative privileges on the Chaski board, so I know this first hand). Posts that have the potential to inflame can be locked so they can not be edited, so evidence is preserved in the original post. Perhaps Noxx would explore the possibility of extending that permission to those of us that are global moderators. It would help, tremendously, in keeping the record straight. I would also encourage anyone that feels the need to respond to less than flattering comments to QUOTE the comment, so a record is made that can't be deleted by the instigator.

Hear me now and be warned! I will not tolerate this revisionist history. I expect my fellow moderators will hold my position with me.
Not a question in my mind. You have my unwavering support. In fact, I propose that anyone that alters a post without posting an apology for the acrimony that results should be given time to think about their attitude----and if that doesn't serve the purpose, they should be banned.

Harold

We all know many huge social networking or discussions forums. If somebody have desire of his discussions to be seen by public lets use them and move to facebook f.e.
We may be better served to keep this forum focused on main purpose - gold refining. When we mention AR, nitric, gold in thread like this we only create one more entry in search for members looking for relevant info, and that is not what they will find here.

:cry: Moderator: Please delete this thread. It is a repeat of what has been said in other threads and no longer pertains to pm recovery. :cry:

joem said:
:cry: Moderator: Please delete this thread. It is a repeat of what has been said in other threads and no longer pertains to pm recovery. :cry:
I feel it should remain as an example of what we shouldn't do, and what can be expected for those that can't keep their nose clean----or stay on topic.

I'm locking the thread, so there will be no further comments accepted. Mean time, lets try to get back on topic. If you, as readers, understood how much of my time you waste with this nonsence you might see things differently. I feel it's no different for the balance of my fellow moderators. All of us have busy lives and should not have to waste our precious time reading stupid jokes or comments that do not pertain to the scope of this forum---the promotion of safe and successful refining of precious metals.

Harold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back