Blue aqua regia?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What element or metal?
copper?
You can have a soup of different metals, some that color solution and some that do not color the solution, many time's different oxidation states of metals ions will give different colors...

My guess: It was green by a mix of copper(II)chloride, which forms blue complexes if dilluted, and yellow (dilluted) or orange (more concentrated) HAuCl4. You probably precipitated a tiny amount of gold from a comparable dirty solution, which might cause gold clusters so small, that it might take days, before you can see fine black powder at the bottom. Now, only the blue (because dilluted) copper II cloride complexes still are in solution. Test for gold. There will most probably be no gold in solution left.

I've seen this before in very dilluted solutions.

Gold test shows nothing... And you're correct the yield was very polluted.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

solar_plasma said:
My guess: It was green by a mix of copper(II)chloride, which forms blue complexes if dilluted, and yellow (dilluted) or orange (more concentrated) HAuCl4. You probably precipitated a tiny amount of gold from a comparable dirty solution, which might cause gold clusters so small, that it might take days, before you can see fine black powder at the bottom. Now, only the blue (because dilluted) copper II cloride complexes still are in solution. Test for gold. There will most probably be no gold in solution left.

I've seen this before in very dilluted solutions.
Am I able to drop the silver or copper?

Concentrated chloride matrix is able to hold a little insoluble silver chloride in complexed form in solution, until dilluted. Why would you want to drop some milligramms of copper? This solution goes to the stock pot.

Read Hoke and the forum library, please.

solar_plasma said:
There should not be any silver, if you have done proper work. Concentrated chloride matrix is able to hold a little insoluble silver chloride in complexed form in solution, until dilluted. Why would you want to drop some milligramms of copper? This solution goes to the stock pot. Read Hoke and the forum library, please.
Started reading hoke and have been reading the forums. Haven't seen anything specifically about the "stock pot" yet though lots of mentions of it.

Corro69 said:
solar_plasma said:
There should not be any silver, if you have done proper work. Concentrated chloride matrix is able to hold a little insoluble silver chloride in complexed form in solution, until dilluted. Why would you want to drop some milligramms of copper? This solution goes to the stock pot. Read Hoke and the forum library, please.
Started reading hoke and have been reading the forums. Haven't seen anything specifically about the "stock pot" yet though lots of mentions of it.
Good. Here's the short version: yes, you will eventually drop the silver and copper as part of your stock pot/waste process.

upcyclist said:
Corro69 said:
solar_plasma said:
Good. Here's the short version: yes, you will eventually drop the silver and copper as part of your stock pot/waste process.
Awesome. Thanks for the input

Latest posts

Back