Boom goes the dynamite !

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL - per the bold print - not likely

Sure I have a fair stash of gold & silver - but it's certainly not enough to make me independently wealthy - at best it will make me "a bit" more comfortable if/when I decide to retire (I will be 65 on Friday) & though I could take my retirement now I actually enjoy going to work (I like seeing the results of an end of day job well done & knowing at the end of the day I have made a contribution)

I have slowed down a bit from 10 - 12 hours a day 5 - 6 even 7 days a week working for myself to working 8 hours a day 4 days a week (so 3 days for me instead of 2) & a pay check - so more relaxed life

Concerning the oil/gas in ND - that's not going to make me independently wealthy ether - it is something I inherited - passed down in the family from my great grandfather who homesteaded in ND

Its a big family so 4 generations later each family member has a small holding & gets paid royalties

So though its not a lot - as I said - it's enough (with current prices) to keep me ahead of inflation - & again will make retirement more comfortable (&/or life now for that matter)

I don't have to run to the bank on paid day to cash my pay check - own "everything" I have - don't have any debt - so am comfortable - but certainly not on the road to wealth

Kurt
Well first, from one march birthday guy to another, you have an automatic happy birthday from me waiting in line after your closest loved ones.

I'm with you on the work, can't stand having idle hands. The term workaholic fits well.

That's very cool. It still makes a difference in your life, and you have the ability to make that statement. Not a lot of people do.

That's a good place to be, and owning everything certainly helps. I'm going to disagree, and type that you are on that road, Theirs a lot of people in this world that can't make that same statement either, If you're comfortable, then you're doing well. The fact that you're on this forum, and have vast knowledge of practices in this type of life, means you're advancing on that wealth.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do with this next statement, but:

Don't sell yourself short, you're in a position that a lot of people dream to be in. Working for yourself, making your own schedule, and you're successful doing so. Yes it was, and is hard work, I know, I'm in the same boat. I'm unsure what is more wealthier than having the ability to contribute, and positively change the lives of others.

Talk about a market blowing up - anyone else seen the nickel market blowup ?

couple days ago in a matter of a few hours it doubled in price so was "shut down" & has been flat lined (no trading) for two days now

Kurt

Time to start processing battery stockpiles. I wonder how many junkyards, are going to be bought out of batteries from smart cars?

yup. Panic over Russia cutting the market with Ni and closely related stuff coming from complex nickel/cobalt ores (mainly Ru and Pd alongside with Ni/Co and bit of copper - typicaly). Not only in metals, but also for example wheat.
Nickel demand is insane today. Firstly, battery making companies invested unhealthy ammount of money to replace expensive cobalt in electrode for mixture of nickel/manganese and iron (sometimes still with bit of Co), aiming to reduce costs dramatically. This could be serious blow for e-vehicle "industry", as now they will have hard time to return on this research and rebuilds of facilities investments.
Hopefully this will not cause opening new conflicts in third-world countries in fight over the areas where nickel is mined :/

yup. Panic over Russia cutting the market with Ni and closely related stuff coming from complex nickel/cobalt ores (mainly Ru and Pd alongside with Ni/Co and bit of copper - typicaly). Not only in metals, but also for example wheat.
Nickel demand is insane today. Firstly, battery making companies invested unhealthy ammount of money to replace expensive cobalt in electrode for mixture of nickel/manganese and iron (sometimes still with bit of Co), aiming to reduce costs dramatically. This could be serious blow for e-vehicle "industry", as now they will have hard time to return on this research and rebuilds of facilities investments.
Hopefully this will not cause opening new conflicts in third-world countries in fight over the areas where nickel is mined :/
Oh yeah, Russia is definitely the main protagonist on this one. They hold just about 10% of the reserves/mine operations. It's crazy. The e-vehicle sector is definitely going to be taking a major hit. We could circle back to Elon Musk, and how badly Tesla will be affected by this with their battery production among many other things. He may be alright with the newer cells he is developing, as they use less material. The cost to progress is still going to be ridiculous at the scale he is involved.

Edit* Spelling, and grammar.

Last edited:
Just to put my last post a bit more in perspective

Because I have an interest (physical holding) in gold & silver (as do most of you) I/we are certainly enjoying watching price go up (& we can only hope that trend continues)

In my case - it also just happens that I have an interest in (crude) oil & gas in ND

that interest (like gold & silver) --- I have is actual physical ownership in the oil & gas in the ground so I get paid a royalty for every physical barrel of oil pumped out of the ground

It's basically the same thing as if I owned a gold mine but couldn't afford to mine it myself so a company comes along & offers to mine my gold by paying me a percentage of the gold they mine from my mine

Like everyone else - with current inflation - I am having to pay more at the pump to fill up - BUT - at least for me - on the other side of that coin - I am actually being paid more at the pump

Enough so that it is actually keeping me ahead of inflation rather then drug down by inflation

I can only hope that the price of PMs continues to go up so that you to can stay ahead of inflation rather then being drug down by it

Kurt
I fortunately don't have a working stiff job anymore. I'm saving hundreds of dollars every month not driving so much. Honestly, my expenses plunged so much, it's absurd how much working was costing me! When I do decide to get a new job, it's going to be close to home. No more ridiculous commutes for me. Not worth it.

And I'll have spare time for PM processing!

Oh yeah, Russia is definitely the main protagonist on this one. They hole just 10% of the reserves/mine operations. It's crazy. The e-vehicle sector is definitely going to be taking a major hit. We could circle back to Elon Musk on this topic as well. I wonder how badly Tesla will be affected by this with their battery production among many other things. He may be alright with the newer cells he is developing as they use less material, but still, the cost to progress is going to be ridiculous at the scale he is involved.
This will push the development of the iron phosphate and vanadium salt batteries.

Latest posts

Back