Bought the wrong acid.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

So I have been reading this forum for a while, finally joined. I bought some hydrochloric acid off Amazon and thought it was ok, turns out it was .32% not 32%.. I didn't see this until I ran 3 small batches of AP. I am wondering, as it didn't disolve base metals from gold plated jewelry, but some of the gold came off, and I have brown mud. I am gonna re run it all with the correct concentration of HCl, is it possible there is gold in that mud?

HCL is available almost anywhere in US.
No need to order it.
Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware is my choice.
Called muratic acid for cleaning concrete or pools. About $10 to $11 a gallon

Yeah I went to ace hardware and got the correct HCl . My question is the mud I have from the weak HCl I had used, should I rerun that again or would I be better off trying the HCl bleach to purify the mud.

Also, I have a bubbler going does that replace the perioxide in the AP mix or do I still need the perioxide. My goal is safety vs speed so I don't care how long it takes.

At this point I would say keep everything.

I think the air bubbler would replace the peroxide
its just to get o2 in there.

Probably no sense starting to refine the mud yet till you are ready to beginning to refine everything
else.

Never used the chlorine refine maybe you will get lucky and get one of the more knowledgeable
members to help there.

Did you say plated jewelry others will probably say better way to remove gold from that than
HCL soak.

I did a small batch of circuit boards, and a small batch of jewelry. I have the gold coming off but it is more the black color and I'm assuming due to the original acid being .32%, the base metals are not disolving. I'm gonna try a new batch and will post up the progress with it.

Latest posts

Back