Breaking SO4 to release SO2

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMG

Does anyone know of a way to break an SO4 bond, (in H2SO4)?
I read tin can do it and releases SO2, but I was wondering if someone knew of another way.

OMG said:
Does anyone know of a way to break an SO4 bond, (in H2SO4)?
I read tin can do it and releases SO2, but I was wondering if someone knew of another way.

There are a lot of easier and cheaper ways to make SO2.

If you really want to do it on the cheap:

S +O2 = SO2 (g)

Burn Sulfur and bubble the resulting Sulfur Dioxide through a bottle of water to clean it up and you have a really, really cheap SO2 generator.

This is the ultimate caveman SO2 generator. :twisted:

I actually do need to make an SO2 generator and was trying think up the most (cost) efficient way to do so. So your idea sounds great.

But, I was actually looking to see if there was a way to get rid of SO4's in my electrolyte solution. (I'm just mentally exploring another route for my cell setup). I don't really care what the H2SO4 breaks down into as long as the SO4 bond is broken. (If it did break into SO2 though, it would be good because I could capture it and reuse it later). PS: there are chlorides in solution too. [Cu and/or Fe and/or H]

Oh and Irons, Do you have an idea for a Cl2 generator too???
I was just going to electrocute saltwater. I need a cheap source of chlorine gas. Preferably doing some reaction where I could use the other byproducts too.
(I'm really into recycling :D )

Here's one i kicked around awhile back. Sulfur that they put on trees and plants to control bug infestations is readily cheap. Place this inside a close container and heat it. ( stink ) then inject air into the chamber. The air will have been passed thru a small ozone generator. Just two plates and a H.V. Transformer ( cheap ). Then pump the resulting mixture of gas thru chilled water that has also been ozone enriched. At the cooler temperatures the water will hold a higher concentration of O3. The result should be sulfuric acid.

Note to self: Read the topic. Somehow i missed the important part that you just wanted a So2 generator. :roll: :cry:

note to aflac: read all posts. :wink:

I guess I should have made a more precise title.

The main thing is to break the SO4 bond (generating SO2 from breaking would be a bonus)

aflacglobal said:
Here's one i kicked around awhile back. Sulfur that they put on trees and plants to control bug infestations is readily cheap. Place this inside a close container and heat it. ( stink ) then inject air into the chamber. The air will have been passed thru a small ozone generator. Just two plates and a H.V. Transformer ( cheap ). Then pump the resulting mixture of gas thru chilled water that has also been ozone enriched. At the cooler temperatures the water will hold a higher concentration of O3. The result should be sulfuric acid.

Note to self: Read the topic. Somehow i missed the important part that you just wanted a So2 generator. :roll: :cry:

We all stick it out too far now and then. 8)

Latest posts

Back