Buttons and Bars

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tndavid

Come on guys, post some pics. Us newbies need more motivation. In between reading Ms. Hokes book and others we need a break. Something to look forward to. Granted we are not going to rush thru the process and get complacent with safety. That goes without saying. Personally I love seeing pics of the process, big gold sponges aglomerated like a handful of wet cinnamon. Goldfilled watches that retained there shape and form after base metal digestion. Big beautiful buttons ab d bars. Pictures to go with the literature makes it all the more fascinating. Sorry if this post is inappropriate. I just needed a break from reading and the board needs some new luster! Thanks and God bless..

P.S.
Not to make it a peeing contest, but let's see who has the best purity and the one with the most heft!!!!!

You mean besides all the posts over the last several years?

... oh, okaaayyyy... :D

This is just a hair over 3ozt. It's a customer's bar from a stone removal lot I just finished.

Attachments

• 20161010_211328-1.jpg
    20161010_211328-1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 975
  • 20161010_214338-1.jpg
    20161010_214338-1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 975
Nice bar buddy. That's what I'm taking about. I love seeing the new stuff. I know all yall big timers are processing daily. Lol. I know I probably speak for all users newbies. That's motivation baby!! Thank you MGH!! I would love to just hold that bad boy....

Cones from yesterdays smelting - silver used as the collector - picked up "about" 350 grams in addition to the starting weight of the silver used as the collector - most of the added metal will be silver but also expect an ozt plus in gold, some Pd as well some Rh - shouldn't be to much base metals due to pre-leaching to rid them

Will melt the cones today & pour to bars then take them in for XRF reading next week

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20161015_08_11_05_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20161015_08_11_05_Pro[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 889
Let's hope there's a lot of gold in that Kurt because rhodium is not soluble for crap in silver.

and by that I mean maybe there's enough gold to support the rhodium in solution and keep it in your silver :)

Lou said:
Let's hope there's a lot of gold in that Kurt because rhodium is not soluble for crap in silver.

and by that I mean maybe there's enough gold to support the rhodium in solution and keep it in your silver :)

Hmmm - OK - interesting - just goes to show that even after a good number of years into this there is still always something new to learn :mrgreen:

So - lets see if I understand this correctly - though silver acts as a solvent for Pd & Pt (in a smelt) - not so much true with Rh?

But if gold is also present (in high enough amount) it will act as a solvent for the Rh ?

What about copper as the collector instead of silver?

And if the silver (&/or copper) doesn't work as a good solvent/collector for Rh (doesn't dissolve - so doesn't alloy) does the Rh end up going off in the slag - or - does it still end up in the metal (cone) just not really alloyed

The Rh is from plating recovered in filters after processing Rh plated sterling & Rh plated "white" gold filled - so its VERY fine Rh plating foils - kind of like the "ultra" fine gold plating from "flash" plated circuit boards

Kurt

Best to accumulate the foils separately. I can process them for you.

Kurt, if the gold or other PGM is in sufficient quantity to stabilize the Rh in solution you may have phase segregation as Rh/PGM-Au phases precipitate out of the silver matrix. I'm not sure.

As for the disposition of the rhodium, if it doesn't go into the slag, it goes into the alloy or forms a scum on top. In fire assay, the rhodium will recrystallize out of the silver. It may also be seen on the top and some of it may report to the cupel, that's why gold is often used as a collector for Rh assays.

I don't happen to have the phase diagrams handy (and I think they're copyrighted) but you should be able to find the data through one of the usual publishing houses. It'll probably cost a gram or two of rhodium to get the articles though...

Tndavid said:
Hey Kurt, did you ever process the cones?

Yes & no - in other words I got started & then put off finishing - I have been to busy bow hunting & trying to get other things done taking advantage of the "unseasonable" warm weather we have been having - which looks like that is going to "end" on Friday

Its been in the mid 50s & even low 60s (very much unseasonable warm) Friday temps are going to drop to +/- freezing & stay there

I did melt & pour the cones to shot - as well as a nitric leach & then an AR leach on what didn't dissolve in nitric --- so the solutions are still waiting on me to cement the silver/Pd as well as drop the gold from the AR & then stock pot for PGM recovery

Kurt

It's not gold, but somewhere in these bars should be around 13 ounces of gold plated copper connectors. Total weight is 9lb 13 ounces. I just need to get the time to clean them up and finish up a new cell.

IMG_0479.JPG

Tndavid said:
Cool. Any guesstimate on Au yield?

Dropped the gold from the AR, washed & melted yesterday

In my OP showing the cones I had said I figured an ozt (plus) so was pretty close on that guess :mrgreen:

33.9 grams powder - with the bar the scale toggles between 31.1 & 31.2

The smelt was incinerated filters (including anode bags from silver cell)

Poured an ozt bar & the remainder melted button - I use the buttons for de-Noxing my AR

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20161118_04_18_33_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20161118_04_18_33_Pro[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 502
  • WP_20161117_07_56_45_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20161117_07_56_45_Pro[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 502
Simon007 said:
Nice bars in the background kurt! Are they silver?

Yes they are kilo silver bars poured from silver from my silver cell

The gold bar sitting on top of the silver bars is one I did not sell from a 3 ozt (plus) batch I did not long ago

The large coin sitting on top of the silver bars is a 1926 French Indo China coin - it was part of some other coins I got out of a storage unit back when I used to buy storage units - which was before they came out with the storage locker wars shows which completely ruined buying payment default storage units

The U.S. quarter is a 1963 silver quarter I got as change when shopping one day a few months ago - it was the sound of it that caught my attention when I took it out of my pocket to put in my change jar at the end of the day

Kurt

Kilo bars of silver. And triplets at that. Nice :D

All I have at the moment is this pair of twins. 3.39 ozt each.Too bad they're not mine - customer lot.

Attachments

• 20161119_093643.jpg
    20161119_093643.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 421

Latest posts

Back