Buying alternatives to get the acids cheaper

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sylvesta

I was just looking to buy hydrochloric acid and nitric acid cheaper which I can do if the percentages are slightly varied.
For example the hydrochloric acid I can get in 28% and 36% strength much cheaper than the 32%. So which is better to get or must it be 31-32% strength. This refers to if I'm using hydrogen peroxide or nitric acid with it?

The same applies to nitric acid. I can get 65% which is a bit cheaper. Bonnymans actually sell a nitric acid - oxoazinic combination 70% but i'm not sure if this is any good.

I appreciate the help, thanks. If this question has been answered elsewhere on the forum I apologize in advance.

28% HCl is ok, 36% HCl is too strong, and even 28%HCl has to be slightly diluted with water if heating procedures are involved. In most processes HCl has to be heated before adding the oxidant H2O2 or HNO3. Hydrochloric acid is a more or less concentrated aqueous solution of HCl-gas. HCl and water form a azeotropic mixture, containing 20.2% HCl. If a solution containing less than 20.2% HCl is boiled at atmospheric pressure, it will loose water preferrably, until a concentration of 20.2% HCl is reached. From this point on the azeotropic mixture containing 20.2% HCl will volatilize. On the other side, starting with a solution of 36% HCl, on boiling HCl-gas volatilizes preferrably, until the composition of the azeotrope is reached, which means, that you loose valuable HCl, if you are working with too concentrated hydrochloric acid by heating procedures.

65% nitric acid is ok. To dissolve silver or copper it usually is diluted to about 20-35% HNO3.

Latest posts

Back