Casting Rhodium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jshapco2

Hello All,

I am looking for a reference ( if it exists) of someone who can cast Rhodium, or make plate so it can be machined. Also looking for a reference of someone that casts Gold alloys with a HIP process.

Thank so much,
Josh

Hello All,

I am looking for a reference ( if it exists) of someone who can cast Rhodium, or make plate so it can be machined. Also looking for a reference of someone that casts Gold alloys with a HIP process.

Thank so much,
Josh
Welcome to us😊
Casting Rhodium is exceedingly difficult due to the high temperature needed.
Why cast and machine?
Do the product have stringent dimension criterias?

I believe most parts of Rhodium is sintered.
What is a HIP process?

Depending on the final parts dimensions it may be possible go electroform the part/object. Never done such with any metal, and not sure if it's even possible to do with Rh, but it may be a possible solution.

Steve

Is it essential that the whole part is Rhodium?
How about plating the part with thick plating?

Thank you all for the responses. Yes, need to make a solid part out of rhodium with no porosity around 2" or 50mm in diameter 5mm thick.

Thank you all for the responses. Yes, need to make a solid part out of rhodium with no porosity around 2" or 50mm in diameter 5mm thick.
If you are going to use lost vax or similar casting, you will need an induction furnace and the correct investment.
Ransom and Randolph has some good investments designed for Platinum but it has an upper temperature use of 2200C
This will just make it possible to use for Rh, which will need at least 2100C to be poured well.
With large sprues and proper reservoirs it will maybe be possible to avoid porosities from shrinking and boiling.

If you are going to use lost vax or similar casting, you will need an induction furnace and the correct investment.
Ransom and Randolph has some good investments designed for Platinum but it has an upper temperature use of 2200C
This will just make it possible to use for Rh, which will need at least 2100C to be poured well.
With large sprues and proper reservoirs it will maybe be possible to avoid porosities from shrinking and boiling.
Insulated molds helps with that. Engineers job...

Would melting in a graphite mould used for pouring bullion, say a 5 T oz Au., in an induction furnace work? You would have to use a furnace which would allow for the outer dimension size of the mould, shim up to coil area, heat, let cool in place with a cover possibly, retrieve when cooled.

Ransom and Randolph has some good investments designed for Platinum but it has an upper temperature use of 2200C.
I think you will need a Vacuumbe Induction setup and remotely activated tilt to manage a product with a high level of production.
This would eliminate the insulation issues and gas solubility in molten Rhodium.

I think you will need a Vacuumbe Induction setup and remotely activated tilt to manage a product with a high level of production.
This would eliminate the insulation issues and gas solubility in molten Rhodium.
My reply to the OP was of course very simplified😏

Just curious why you would need to pour, if you can get it up to temperature, then let it cool in the furnace in the shape required? Perhaps with the necessary gas injected for the proper environment. Also curious of the end use of casting.

Just curious why you would need to pour, if you can get it up to temperature, then let it cool in the furnace in the shape required? Perhaps with the necessary gas injected for the proper environment. Also curious of the end use of casting.
in-mold casting will only work really well with bars or fairly simple designs with no gating systems.
Anything more complicated would need the appropriate gating setup to take contraction into consideration and other problems associated with in-mold melting.

in-mold casting will only work really well with bars or fairly simple designs with no gating systems.
Anything more complicated would need the appropriate gating setup to take contraction into consideration and other problems associated with in-mold melting.
That is true, but this form is simple.
The issue might be to get hold of properly shaped crucibles in a material that will not melt or disintegrate into the metal in the temperature needed.
ZrO or BN crucibles might be needed.

That is true, but this form is simple.
The issue might be to get hold of properly shaped crucibles in a material that will not melt or disintegrate into the metal in the temperature needed.
ZrO or BN crucibles might be needed.
Yes, I have only ever read about in-mold casting using C.N.C. carved graphite.
Not sure what material would be suitable for metals that can produce Plata organic compounds.
Another reason why conventional casting would be a better option is then each job will be undertaken with the material most suited for the task.
Melting or forming a mold instead of trying to find a material that is stable enough to act as a crucible and formable enough to make a mold with details.

Back