Chain clasps NOT GOLD

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmgold2

This is probably common knowledge but thought I'd post it just in case any other newbies might be saved from buying junk. Several years ago when I was buying scrap gold, I got included in my scrap the end of a gold chain with the clasp. I paid full spot price for this since I didn't know any better. Actually it wasn't full spot since it was sold as karat gold. Now, years later, I was looking for some scrap gold to make up a little gold test solution and also to test out some homemade leach. This seemed like a good item to use since I didn't want to sacrifice any rings. The link of chain that was attached to the clasp had already been used and was gold. I put the clasp into my leach solution and it turned a dark color. Right now I have it in some leach and it has not tested good for gold. Now I realise that I bought stainless steel or some other junk metal as gold. I'm pretty sure the seller knew what he was selling me which really disappoints me since I THOUGHT he was honest. Should have known better. Looks like the good stuff was separated and I got the junk. Another time I bought a loose diamond (just because I didn't have any) and it turned out to be chipped. At the time I was blowing around $100 a week on coins, gold and silver but haven't been back since. Live and learn I guess.

Anyway, keep this in mind as you buy scrap gold for your refining.

bmgold

Clasp which is not stamped is usually gold filled or plated.
Of course, that doesn't mean the chain is fake.

Since much of the repairs done on chains is due to torn link which connects the clasp to the chain, many jewellers takes that opportunity to keep the original gold alloy clasp and replace it with a fake (filled of plated). The client never knows....
I have seen it too many times.

I've seen cases where the clasp and the chain are not even at the same color anymore and the client still insisted it was gold because that's what he was told by the jeweller.
either way... always test the clasp as well.

bmgold2 said:
This is probably common knowledge but thought I'd post it just in case any other newbies might be saved from buying junk. Several years ago when I was buying scrap gold, I got included in my scrap the end of a gold chain with the clasp. I paid full spot price for this since I didn't know any better. Actually it wasn't full spot since it was sold as karat gold. Now, years later, I was looking for some scrap gold to make up a little gold test solution and also to test out some homemade leach. This seemed like a good item to use since I didn't want to sacrifice any rings. The link of chain that was attached to the clasp had already been used and was gold. I put the clasp into my leach solution and it turned a dark color. Right now I have it in some leach and it has not tested good for gold. Now I realise that I bought stainless steel or some other junk metal as gold. I'm pretty sure the seller knew what he was selling me which really disappoints me since I THOUGHT he was honest. Should have known better. Looks like the good stuff was separated and I got the junk. Another time I bought a loose diamond (just because I didn't have any) and it turned out to be chipped. At the time I was blowing around $100 a week on coins, gold and silver but haven't been back since. Live and learn I guess.

Anyway, keep this in mind as you buy scrap gold for your refining.

bmgold

What's changing the color of your leach solution is likely the clasp's spring (which is almost certainly steel).

Clasps can be precious metals, but springs are rarely precious metal.

Come to think of it, I've got some broken clasps right here under my keyboard - thanks for reminding me. I'll go stash those with the silver scrap I've been dealing with.

As mentioned above, clasps can also be base metal that's been electroplated.

When in doubt, disassemble and test each part of the clasp. File a notch & test with the appropriate acid.

-- Thipdar

I save and sell lobster claw and other clasps online to jewelers for repairs. I am always specific in saying that the material is NOT for gold recovery. In the dozens of batches I've run, I save all the clasps and they all jump to a rare earth magnet, and it isn't just the springs...

Back