Chemically extracting gold from ore

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R34p3rm4n

Is it possible to do this using any chemicals that can be obtained easily ? If so any suggestions if it's even worthwhile to do this way than say doing a assay

As per your title.
Yes it is possible to chemically extract gold from ore.
BUT it has to be done correctly.
To decide for a proper procedure you need to know what is in the ore.
This means an Assay.
And then one have to choose the best process, which means not only the correct chemicals but also if one need concentration, roasting and so on.
Safety measures according to process and waste treatment according to same.

So yes it can be done, but you don’t mix random chemicals and do some random things to the ore.

Search the forum first before posting question, which were answered numerous times.

To the problem, yes and no. First, you need to be specific about what ore - what values you want to dissolve ? Some ores are very difficult and wasteful to treat with acids or other leach solutions.

Processing ore and doing an assay is completely different story. Treatment with acids or leaches is never quantitative, and with complex ores effectivity decrease sharply.

Search the forum first before posting question, which were answered numerous times.

To the problem, yes and no. First, you need to be specific about what ore - what values you want to dissolve ? Some ores are very difficult and wasteful to treat with acids or other leach solutions.

Processing ore and doing an assay is completely different story. Treatment with acids or leaches is never quantitative, and with complex ores effectivity decrease sharply.
Sorry at work was kinda off my head question didn't get a chance to look around yet ....my idea was quartz ore and I was think something like aqua regis but as I am pretty new to this I don't want to just do it and find out I just send toxic fumes all over the place or worse case blow up

Sorry at work was kinda off my head question didn't get a chance to look around yet ....my idea was quartz ore and I was think something like aqua regis but as I am pretty new to this I don't want to just do it and find out I just send toxic fumes all over the place or worse case blow up
Read the replies, and search the forum.
It is all there.
And get an assay done.

Treating ore with acid is usually the worst thing you can do. But that does not say that it does not work. It works, but usually you encounter poor dissolution, appreciable adsorption of dissolved values to the big surface area of pulverized ore etc. That is why no big mining facility is using acids to extract values from ores.

Concentrate on gravitational separation of the ore before moving to smelting. If you cannot see values in your ore, get a proper assay done to determine if it is even worth the effort.

Extracting gold from ores chemically impossible in small scale espsily in backyard .or small lab .extracting any value espsily gold only can be done in big scale if you talking about chemicals. Big company's use cyanide. It's cheeper and no one can used it in small scale it's not safe.and you can't use aqua regia for ore tooooo expansive and you need a lot of it .there is other chemical prosses but not safe don't even try not safe .the only thing it can be done as far as ores is silver may be if you find high grade silver ore .but gold impossible .

There is some gold ores easily can be done in small scale but they very rare hard to find .but at most ores chemically not recommended for small scale .

Just don't even think about it espacly if you think trying it in your backyard .not safe .I just read your second message .don't try at home .if this is the first time refining don't please read .about safety and refining before you decide .aqua regia can be very dangerous .don't try nothing till you do some research.good luck

Yes it is possible, take note of the safety tips and make sure you know the mineral makeup of the ore...
Or get a proper assay as suggested.
There are chemical tests for the metals in a sticky thread at the top of the mining and prospecting section of the forum.
You will need to know if there is Mercury, Lead, Arsenic or Tellurium present as well as if the minerals are present as Sulfides, Chlorides or a combination and also how much gold is available as "free Gold"
Unless you have high graded material or a particularly rich ore it can be hard to do on a small scale.
AR is not suitable for large scale leaching of ore.
Do your research properly and look at whether HCL/ Hypochlorite leaching will work for the ore you have.
The search function here will bring up what you need to know.

Cheers Wal

Yes it is possible, take note of the safety tips and make sure you know the mineral makeup of the ore...
Or get a proper assay as suggested.
There are chemical tests for the metals in a sticky thread at the top of the mining and prospecting section of the forum.
You will need to know if there is Mercury, Lead, Arsenic or Tellurium present as well as if the minerals are present as Sulfides, Chlorides or a combination and also how much gold is available as "free Gold"
Unless you have high graded material or a particularly rich ore it can be hard to do on a small scale.
AR is not suitable for large scale leaching of ore.
Do your research properly and look at whether HCL/ Hypochlorite leaching will work for the ore you have.
The search function here will bring up what you need to know.

Cheers Wal
Please read he's second post .hard to explain to some one that know nothing about refining or extracting metals .it's look like he's trying to prosses something he doesn't know about .may be in he's backyard so no .not safe don't encourage him to even try .extracting from any ore chemicaly not recommended in small scale .

We all started somewhere....
Yes we all started somewhere .but from my experience I made so much mistakes in refining that could harm any body .that why I say he need to be very carefull till he at least understand what's refining and what hes dealing with and what not to do

Latest posts

Back