chloroplatinate from noxed solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ander

Hello
I have question about need to denox Pt solution prior to dropping ammonium chloroplatinate.
Why is it so important to denox platinum solution first?
Is there any reaction leading to dangerous products?
I tried 5ml of 1% Pt solution with ammonium chloride and I noticed that yellow precipitate appears?
So what is the reason?

Yes, It is 50/50 Pt-Pd solution. The alloy powder was digested with stoichiometric amount of AR, then filtered off undissolved metal, large particles- I suppose platinum. Dilution is caused by rinsing a filter. I want to concentrate solution, but I noticed that dexonig is very difficult and oxides appear just before crystalization. When I added HCl to evaporated solution distilate became orange and I had to precipitate metals and save for another batch. Final concentration I can obtain in reasonable time is 100g/l (suppose 10% metal). So I don't want to evaporate to dryness just to get rid of nitric unneceseraly.

The nitric is an oxidizer, it is needed to dissolve (oxidize) the metal, but if used in excess, there will be HNO3 left in solution of the precious metal chlorides, when the precipitant is trying to reduce the metal chloride back to metal, but if free oxidizer in solution it cannot, the metal is again oxidized back to chlorides with free HNO3.

Oxidize to take electrons.
Reduce to gain electrons.

Using minimum nitric to begin with is one way to insure no excess nitric after metal is dissolved.
Adding more metal to consume nitric either while dissolving, or in an evaporation process is also a good method to use.

Sometimes for just a slight excess nitric a precipitant reagent will consume the small amount (by adding excess reagent).

Evaporating off the free nitric with three (or more) evaporation’s (below the boiling point of solution) adding HCl to keep wet or from crystallization or cooking salts (with gold a little H2SO4 can help with keeping crystal’s from forming, or from cooking them).

With gold sulfamic acid can be used to rid free nitric acid from solution (this forms sulfuric acid in solution which does no harm), but I am not sure how this would affect PGM's as they may form sulfates (I have not looked into this).

Some suggest Urea (it can cause complexes with PGM, create more salts), my study show’s it could also be dangerous, even with gold, and can add other impurity’s into the mix (I never recommend using it), except maybe in a test of free nitric, but even for this I find formic acid to be good test for nitric acid observing brown fumes formed when added.

You have a problem here.

I would consider several methods and choose which may work best with what I had.

evaporation, It could even form salts, but not cook salts, (these can be re-dissolved) Adding HCl to get salts back into solution (using minimum HCl as it is 68%water), and evaporate again repeating until excess nitric is removed, then dissolve salts with heat in HCl concentrate and to precipitate.

Or if you had more platinum, or palladium you could add it and heating to consume the free nitric acid,gold could also be used and recovered but it can add another metal contamination to deal with later.

Another option is to cement values with zinc, then you could refine the powders again with minimum nitric in your aqua regia, or just wash recovered values the way they are what ever you chose to do.

There are other options (but these are what I would consider).

I assume there is mismatch between "dropping" and precipitation.
Dropping is affected by HNO3 excess. Precipitation is best affected
by hot concentrated NH4Cl, and after 1st precipitation on cooling
additional precipitate can be achieved by ethanol addition - where
HNO3 is objectionable.

Well, Lino is right. We misunderstud. I wondered why excess nitric should be removed from platinum solution before reaction with ammonium chloride. So I suppose
the answer is : No problem with nitric if you don't use alcohol for additional precipitate. Thanks a lot

I have the same question...

It makes sense to nitric free when dropping gold since gold sponge will re-digest in aqua regia.

But when ammonium chloride is added to form ammonium hexachloroplatinate, it is in the form of a salt NOT a metal, so it won't re-digest?

Is this a fair assessment?

Thanks,
huggy

Latest posts

Back