Clear crystal formed in aqua regia

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exotic_chew

My first post, pardon me.

I have dissolved gold in aqua regia , it is left to sit for 5 days and I'm observing tiny clear sand like particles forming.

I tried to search for answers but to no avail.

Does anyone know what is it?

Most likely metal salts, or some other insoluble material, lead, silver, and a few other metals will form insoluble chlorides.
Lead chloride often forms needle-like crystals, silver chloride is a fluffy white, but if washed will turn dark in the light.

Welcome to the forum.
I’m guessing by the Sg you have put as location you are in Singapore, if so you are in a warm climate so it’s probable that some of your solution has evaporated and the crystals you see are gold chloride crystals, try adding a little water or Hcl and stirring if they disappear that’s your answer.

nickvc said:
Welcome to the forum.
I’m guessing by the Sg you have put as location you are in Singapore, if so you are in a warm climate so it’s probable that some of your solution has evaporated and the crystals you see are gold chloride crystals, try adding a little water or Hcl and stirring if they disappear that’s your answer.

Thank you. I will try that soon.

Now you say it was pure gold.

It could be table salt for all I know, you really are not giving us many details to guess with.

The more information you provide the members with more information or clues, they will have to help with answers to the question

Latest posts

Back