Color of AP solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcecycle

I put 30 CPUs (a mix of 486, ceramic pentiums and alpha chips) in AP 5 days ago. It seems to be coming along well despite the cool temps we have had. All the gold tops are deplated, about half the pins are loose and some of the silicon chips have dropped out.
I have watched Steve's video (very helpful!!!) 8) and his AP solution looks to be a blue green color. Mine is a deep yellow that I presume is auric chloride. There are very few foils visible.
I started with 6 cups Muriatic acid and 3 cups 3% peroxide. On day 2, I added another cup of 3% peroxide. On day 3, I added 1/2 cup peroxide. On day 4, I added another cup of Muriatic acid and 1/2 cup peroxide. I have been agitating 2-3 times a day. Am I on the right track? Also, how often should I add peroxide? Have I over done it and that is what is keeping the gold in solution?

Mike

i would say you are a little heavy on the peroxide... more vigorous agitation or get a fish tank bubbler to add o2 to the mix. adding excess peroxide will dissolve some of your gold.

The gold caps from 386/486 are better left out of AP. They strip in a flash in a cell. The yellow color is probably caused by steel in the pins or caps. I have had limited success with ceramic Pentium 1 chips. Be patient. It will take time. You could speed up the process by aerating the solution or using concentrated H2O2 (small additions like 15-40ml). Agitiation is definetely helpful.

I think I will pick up an aquarium pump. Should I use an airstone or just let it bubble from the tubing?

Mike

Pcecycle,

Just the tubing. Preferably use the rigid kind in the solution so as to be able to mount it in place. Get a pump with variable air flow, too much air will make it splash out. Oh, and make sure the pump is always physically higher than the top of the liquid.

Back