Compass Relic Hunter 6

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darshevo

I picked this really cool machine up at a local weekly auction house last year. Been sitting around the house since then, even tripped over it once or thrice. Found my way to treasurenet and decided it might be fun to do some searching around my house (it was built in the 40's)

Found out why it was at the auction. Broken. But no! It had just been sitting a very long time at some point with batteries in it and a negative (-) spring had corroded away and it was only giving out about 1/2 its voltage. Now that its fixed I am randomly detecting nails in my floor, a dime, what I imagine must be rebar in the concrete in my driveway. I've found that with even a very few knobs a piece of equipment can be quite complicated to use.

I am wondering if someone can give me a crash course of what the following dials do (or how they coincide with each other as the 'discriminate' dial is somewhat self explanatory.

Dials: Ground Tune, Tuning, Discriminate, Volume (self explanatory). There is also a toggle switch STD/DISC. Oh ya, and a button in the end of the handle that I am thinking will need to be replaced if it is important as it doesn't feel like its working properly.

I understand that it takes time to learn to tune and use a detector. Not looking for a total spoon feeding, just a quick and dirty lesson on how it generally functions (particularly the button on the end of the handle)

What info I have gathered so far is that the ol girl is from the mid 70's and was a pretty decent detector in its day. I can post pics if needed

Take care,
-Lance

Lance,
You can find manuals here;

http://jb-ms.com/Detectors/Manuals/

It looks like they only have one Compass manual, but maybe it will help.

I got the manuals link from this forum;
http://www.findmall.com/
You may find some info with a search over there also.

Jim

Lance,
Also,if you can figure out the date it was made you can try
looking for metal detector revues in some of the metal detecting
magazines or ones posted online.They usually explain all the options on the newer machines.I have all the info and revues on my periscope probe that I could find online, even the patent info.

Jim

Back