concentration

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aumoon

In making the A R solution, I have lab grade Nitric (69-70%)..I also have lab grade Hydrochloric acid AND simple HCL(31.45%) My question: Would the ratio of 3:1 be the same when dealing with two different strengths of HCL ? less of lab grade HCL? more of simple grade HCL? Do not want avoidable loss !!

It sounds like you may be making a common mistake. The "grade" of a chemical reagent has to do with the amount of impurities, not the concentration. A.C.S. / Reagent grade is very pure. Lab grade is still fairly pure, but for use in a lab, not food, drugs, or medicines. Technical grade, which many use, is fine for general chemical reactions like those we perform. Most grades are available in a range of concentrations.

You didn't mention what the concentration of your lab grade hydrochloric is, so we can't really answer your question.

In general, we don't recommend mixing AR in a fixed ratio. It is better to add all the hydrochloric acid you think you'll need, then add the nitric in increments, adding only as much as needed.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
In general, we don't recommend mixing AR in a fixed ratio. It is better to add all the hydrochloric acid you think you'll need, then add the nitric in increments, adding only as much as needed.

Dave

For small quantities of refining as most do, Dave is correct. For large amounts pre-mixing AR is the way if used correctly, although I wouldn't be using 3:1, more like 5:1 or at a stretch 4:1

Thanks guys ! I guess when adding nitric in small doses at a time to only use what is needed, it really doesn't matter what strength HCL I use. That makes better sense to do it that way so as to avoid waste. Read a lot about making a fixed ratio...I'll feel better using the method you suggested.

Latest posts

Back