Confused with test results

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

So I am feeling very confused. For interest sake I had samples of the tantalum and MLCC caps that I have collected tested with a spectrometer at a local PM buyer. The results was very disappointing to say the least. Unless in any of your experiences found otherwise? Am I missing something?

The tantalum capacitor gave 94% Mn and some traces of other elements.

IMG_8787.jpg

And the MLCC showed no Pd whatsoever

IMG_8786.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I see I have the pictures in the wrong order. First picture is te MLCC and second the Tantalum Cap

Here are the actual caps I had tested for reference....

32bd1100916e0a5d36f5ee3de26d2927.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there

Most MLCC are "base metal" MLCC regardless of what you read on Facebook groups and forums. Assuming that gun has the capability to read PMs then your reading is most likely correct.

Show us a picture of your Tantalum capacitors please. Edit I just removed a completely wrong comment.

You've got a number of options on the Tant cap.

1. Your gun missed the Tantalum rod.
2. Your gun won't read deep enough to get the rod.
3. It's not a real Tantalum capacitor.
4. Software glitch on gun.

anachronism said:
Hi there

Most MLCC are "base metal" MLCC regardless of what you read on Facebook groups and forums. Assuming that gun has the capability to read PMs then your reading is most likely correct.

Show us a picture of your Tantalum capacitors please. Edit I just removed a completely wrong comment.

You've got a number of options on the Tant cap.

1. Your gun missed the Tantalum rod.
2. Your gun won't read deep enough to get the rod.
3. It's not a real Tantalum capacitor.
4. Software glitch on gun.
Thank you Sir for your insights, much appreciated. Think I will continue collecting the Tantalum caps, as I am confident they are indeed tantalum considering all the other factors to identify them. Also the gentleman that helped me at the gold buyer shop didn't seem to know what Tantalum was [emoji848] neither what Mn meant.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Found this, I guess this is what I have , the "GQM series" the elements corresponds
5a0075a592f2612ad664b23d7944c292.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yes Andre

The majority of MLCC you find will be those. The cheap ones can be picked up with a weak magnet. Note, weak is important or a magnet with an edge round it of about 6-7mm to allow space between the magnet and the workbench.

I've never used an xrf gun but from the comments I've read on here by those who have, they may have the word x-ray in the name but only provides an analysis of the surface provided to it, it wasn't detailed in op but it seems you shot it at whole tantalum capacitors and mlccs? idk how they usually behave with non metals like the plastic and ceramic bodies of those components, but it's been suggested on this forum, if your going to use an xrf to accurately assay anything, it should be homogenous and shoot at freshly ground surface, so id suggest sample refining small batches and melting down to buttons, then take the buttons to an xrf, by that point whoever's holding the xrf should be willing to buy on those results, if you feel there are different "types" or fractions amongst your mlccs sort your samples across them

Edit: Mn is manganese, the bulk of the volume in a tantalum capacitors will be manganese dioxide, the tantalum should consist of a bead or rod of tantalum metal (tantalum oxide will only be present if charged) the tantalum would be embedded in the manganese based cathode, so

Back