Copper wire from computers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyoon21

Scrapped a bunch of computers and servers...harvested all the wires out. Started to strip the plastic coating but noted that the wires were silver in color, not copper looking.

This was a big surprise to me because I thought that all computer wires were insulated copper.

Checked with another board and the consensus is that the wire is tin coated. Any ideas on how this affects the wire classification and how much they pay for it?

Is it worth it to strip it out to pure copper? Or just take it in as it is?

Thank you everyone in advance!
Tom

aluminum or tin coated. most places buy it not stripped an they burn it
price ranges from .65 to .95 a lb depending on current copper prices.
If you clean it you will get #2 prices which are around a $1.80 to $2.20
Depends how much you have, and how much your time is worth.
People were I live burn it themselves as that is fairly easy and gets them the most money. But, I live in WV with low population and not to much government interference. Not sure if it is legal or not to burn it yourself.
I have a commercial wire stripper that worked for awg 18 and larger.

It sells in my neighborhood as #3 insulated for about 80 cents if you cut off the connectors (hoarde the connectors). Power cords are #2, no need to remove connectors.

How are you stripping it?

(please dont burn wire, you can't justify it unless your family is actually going to starve in the street if you don't)

I'm just keeping the connectors. I don't think it's worth messing with them with my level of capability. Once I have a half ton or more they will be sent to a commercial refiner.

all in all you will make more money in less time by not stripping it and selling as insulated.

keep your internal wires/ribbons seperate from your thicker power cord wires

if you mix them they will pay you for lowest grade.

every place is different but i have never had to clip off any ends where i sell mine

always ask questions before you sell and they mix it with everyone elses and always contact more than 1 yard with prices. Sometimes yards will price match you just have to ask and it helps if you are a regular

If you don't clip the connectors off the internal wires you're giving away gold. I hate doing it. I just see it as a part of the disposal process.

Around here,S.E.Arkansas,stripped tinned copper goes for the same as #2 copper.I have a lot of time on my hands so sit around and strip it with a sharp knife,goes pretty fast when you get the hang of it. Snip off the connectors of course,save any that may have gold plating if you,re into that.

Scrapped a bunch of computers and servers...harvested all the wires out. Started to strip the plastic coating but noted that the wires were silver in color, not copper looking.

This was a big surprise to me because I thought that all computer wires were insulated copper.

Checked with another board and the consensus is that the wire is tin coated. Any ideas on how this affects the wire classification and how much they pay for it?

Is it worth it to strip it out to pure copper? Or just take it in as it is?

Thank you everyone in advance!
Tom
The real question is....what is your time/labor worth.

My scrapyard will not take burnt wire/lighting ballast.

Thick gauge wire I strip, everything else I sell as is. I usually do twist off the outlet prongs (put in brass bucket) and save computer plugs... everything else goes as is, tin plated or not.

Opinions will very on this topic.

Back