copperas

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidjanet

Hello first id like to thank all that have come before me, and have helped so much its very much apperciated. as you have guessed im a newbie and just starting off i have read hokes book and the other one listed here it has been quite helpfull im still figuring things out, i do find it kind of hard with all the options listed here, anyway i have been trying to collect the chemicals listed and haveing trouble i live in north east ohio corner and its tuff to get stuff, i have found brand name hy-yield copperas it says on the package that its derived from ferrous sulfate and has a guaranteed analysis of sulfer 11 % combined sulfer,, with iron 19% water soluble iron it is a light green powder no crystals and from what i have read here its seams to me different from what is required to use, is this copperas different and ok to use or not , i dont know, thanks to all for any help David

You might just be talking about the particle size.

Ferrous = iron
Sulfate = Sulfur plus oxygen

So we would expect Ferrous Sulfate to contain iron and sulfur, yes?

Before getting interested in refining, I had never heard of Ferrous Sulfate referred to as "Copperas"...even though I have a modest amount of chemical experience. There are of course many, many examples of what one might call "ancient names" applied to chemicals: Aqua Regia "King of Waters"...Water Glass = Silicon silicate...Sal Ammoniac = Ammonium Chloride.

I for one am not sure why you think the smaller particle size would prevent you from using it as Hoke says. Perhaps you're being hesitant as a newbie. Nothing wrong with that.

David
Welcome to the forum and you made a great start to your refining hobby by reading Hoke and in honesty it will make your life so much easier on the forum, I bet you can actually understand much of what is discussed on here?
Copperas is ferrous sulphate but Im not sure you have found the best supply available, I think most of the members in the US buy theirs from garden centres and farm supply shops, try typing in your query into the search box, top right of your screen, I'm sure you will find the answer your looking for.
Read the safety section, that's a must and enjoy your new hobby, but be safe!

Barren Realms 007 said:
What you have found is fine to use. It is the same brand I use.
I certainly agree. I expect it is nothing more than finely ground crystals. Key is that the material is not brown. When it is dissolved in water, to be used for precipitation, I expect it will yield a pale green solution. It will clarify a little by adding a few drops of HCl, and you're well served to filter the solution before use if you find any particulate matter after dissolution.
An ounce of the green powder should precipitate an ounce of gold. A little extra does no harm, and ensures you have a complete precipitation.

Harold

Latest posts

Back