Could you believe it ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya, precious metals are down, but coin dealers say they don't have anything for sale. Supply is down, prices should be up. Supply is up, prices should be down.

He must have a very low supply for that price.

I think people are missing the point in the difference between a troy ounce of the metal and a troy ounce of a salt of a metal. An ounce of silver right now is roughly $12 give or take. That makes about $150 for 500 grams, but 500 grams of silver sulfate is $3475.00. I believe this is what Noxx is pointing out -- the value of the salts is much greater than the value of the metal.

Randy in Gunnison

Ya, that's what I'm pointing out.
I make many grams of gold chloride each time I refine my gold.

Also, AuCl3 is only 65% gold per weight...

yes the prices may be high for the salts, but how many people are buying them?

Cool, Shecker was pointing that out to me that I should not think of just onces, that grams are just as important in refining. I was using tunnel vision today. Thanks for widening my point of view. I'm starting to think like a refiner as well as a prospector now.

The price for salts was the point I was making, James, Thanks for catching that.

Salts are only worth what people will pay for them. They're only as good as their analysis sheet as far as I'm concerned.

I've made and make many, many salts and complexes. There's much more to it than you would think. Take AuCl3 for example. It's used in some organic reactions as a catalyst amongst other applications. I don't think there are (m)any people here who have in fact made it.

What you gentlemen make with AP or even aqua regia is different that what true AuCl3 is. True AuCl3 is made by putting pure gold powder in a quartz tube and passing chlorine gas through it at high temperature. This makes AuCl3.

HAuCl4 is what we make whenever water or any other acid (HCl) is used.

Louis

Back