Cupel usage

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In many cases they can be used multiple times.

Flux and heat can erode the crucibles with each use.

A careful inspection before each use is important. Look for wear and cracks no matter how small.

If you are holding a 2000 plus degree crucible with molten metal and it breaks the results will likely be disastrous. Always wear personal protection and have a second person with you in case something goes wrong.

Setting a hot crucible in standing water can have a very bad outcome. Make sure your work envelope is free of standing water and clutter that can pose a hazard.

Every crucible and every material melted or smelted is different. You should ask your crucible supplier for recommendations for your unique circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rick is discussing crucibles.

Cupels are traditionally used once, as you usually match them to the size lead button you work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snoman701 said:
Rick is discussing crucibles.

Cupels are traditionally used once, as you usually match them to the size lead button you work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the clarification. I totally misread it as crucibles and not cupel. You are spot on. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

*Spelling (correct auto correct)

Back