Depopulation tools.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohiogoldfever

I have broken several pair of small flush cutters recently. I try not to cut anything unreasonable with them, though in all honesty I usually buy junk ones anyhow.

Does anyone have a suggestion for any they have had good luck with?

Never had much luck with smaller ones. Harbor Freight has a lifetime warranty so buy several and return as needed. Never had problems with the returns. Better yet try a place that deals in wire fencing. They make a heavy duty version of end snips in a flush cut variety that are great but can be a bit pricey. They were made for cutting heavier gauge wires for building rabbit or chicken cages. They will last along time.

I have broken several pair of small flush cutters recently. I try not to cut anything unreasonable with them, though in all honesty I usually buy junk ones anyhow.

Does anyone have a suggestion for any they have had good luck with?
What is a flush cutter? I been using air chisel to depopulate is a flush cutter something different?

What is a flush cutter? I been using air chisel to depopulate is a flush cutter something different?
I use a air hammer for some things but I hate sorting parts. I prefer to just pick off what I want and toss it in its place as I do.

Attachments

• D9DBADC4-8B14-4956-98FB-7A519427E81B.png
    D9DBADC4-8B14-4956-98FB-7A519427E81B.png
    577.8 KB · Views: 6
If component legs are not worth saving, i have been using multitool like this
Luckily i already had it, before found this hobby.

Also, picking up the best parts first one by one with pliers and knife. Sometimes using hot air gun too.

So much worse.

When you heat the board you end up with the phenolic resins off gassing. This is especially true on modern boards that were soldered with anything other than 63/37 solder.
I do not think the boards decompose to any real extent.
The system deliberately keeps most volatiles intact so they can be recovered by static separation and recycled.
That is one of the reasons why it is a more effective method than incineration as you are recovering a lot of what would have just been burnt.

The boards, some of the components, adhesives used here and there on the board...It is hard enough to remove components on a micro scale with a heat gun or a reflow soldering iron without getting the organic fumes. And by hard enough, I mean that I've done it A LOT, and still walk away feeling like I just poisoned myself when I don't have good exhaust. Exhaust and scrubbing on a system like that would be imperative.

The boards, some of the components, adhesives used here and there on the board...It is hard enough to remove components on a micro scale with a heat gun or a reflow soldering iron without getting the organic fumes. And by hard enough, I mean that I've done it A LOT, and still walk away feeling like I just poisoned myself when I don't have good exhaust. Exhaust and scrubbing on a system like that would be imperative.
About six meters high and two around.

As I have been scooping up tools to try I found these. They are VERY useful. The self adjustment helps keep you from adjusting for different sized components, the tip comes together square and sharpe. They have a strong grip.

These are awesome for anyone interested in trying a pair.

Attachments

• 8C31A6CD-7B76-4A8E-A016-F4225A93A092.png
    8C31A6CD-7B76-4A8E-A016-F4225A93A092.png
    655.3 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back