Did build a fume hood out of my old fridgešŸ˜

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry63

I had the idea to build a fume hood out of my old fridge. On top a kitchen extractor hood. Here some pictures.

Attachments

• 20230726_093558.jpg
    20230726_093558.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230726_093529.jpg
    20230726_093529.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230726_093441.jpg
    20230726_093441.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230726_093421.jpg
    20230726_093421.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230726_093815.jpg
    20230726_093815.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Nice fumehood! And storage.
The fan may need replacement from corrosion by the fumes in time.
The metal basket in the storage may corrode as well. Keep all bottles closed tight in there.

I had the idea to build a fume hood out of my old fridge. On top a kitchen extractor hood. Here some pictures.
YES

I am always so happy when I see rationally and practically thinking man doing the thing, not only talking about it :)
Might not be perfect, but the fact that idea is clever and workable, modular and cheap... That is a thing I appreciate.
My only fear is that extractor is probably stainless (if I see it correctly), and that meaning it will slowly go south over time. Even stainless cannot withstand the AR/HCL fumes long time.

But I pretty much like the idea of using fridge because it is rigid structure made of plastic. Plastic is that essential thing there - much more durable in corrosive enviroment than metal. Be aware that when you will be heating the stuff, you can produce condensate on the top and walls of the hood (since small overall volume and metal top of the fume extractor - my assumption), which can then obviously drip down - something you certainly donĀ“t want :)

Also, if you will ever going to replace the fan, go with some cheap plastic everything in-line fan which you conveniently place to the end of ducting. They do not last ages, but are expendable. Use ducting with largest inner diameter you can, as these fans cannot create very big pressure drop and due to this, they cannot move air efficiently if ducting, or joints, bends and other "chokepoints" cause significant friction, or the ducting is simply too long :)

I made my fumehood by using 3/4" PVC 2'x4' sheets for the sides and for top used clear plexiglass to let more light in. Have double plexiglass door. Using an 4" 12volt in-line marine blower to suck the fumes and blow them 100' away.

Attachments

• 20230326_214426.jpg
    20230326_214426.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Using an 4" 12volt in-line marine blower to suck the fumes and blow them 100' away.

I know those bilge/engine compartment vent fans are built for explosive environments and will probably last for awhile. But hydrochloric fumes over time will find its way into the motor, it always does. My advice is to have a replacement fan ready to go for a quick swap out. There is nothing worse than the fan failing right in the middle of the reaction.

I know those bilge/engine compartment vent fans are built for explosive environments and will probably last for awhile. But hydrochloric fumes over time will find its way into the motor, it always does. My advice is to have a replacement fan ready to go for a quick swap out. There is nothing worse than the fan failing right in the middle of the reaction.
I'm one step ahead I have 2 setting on the shelf to jump in when the time comes. I have already eat up an greenhouse blower motor. Seen that omegageek64 changed out his blower motor with one, so I thought why not so far it has been going for 5 months. The last one only lasted a month.

Back