did not melt

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodshanz

i did it step by step sulfer cell hcl wash then arclorright hcl and clorox wash agin good browne sand toock it to my jewler he could not melt it it just gor hard. i have pic will trie to post soon

Rodshanz. If you use FireFox to surf the Internet be sure to enable the spell checking feature.

I'm not saying this to insult you. It will help other members better understand what you're trying to say and more effectively help you in your quest for gold.

Perhaps his torch wasn't hot enough?

A jeweler should surely know what torch and temperature to use to melt gold. There may have been some reason for the jeweler to want him to think he was unsuccessful in his refining skills however. As to the possible purity he should have had… I can’t understand what he wrote.

I had some powder I tried to melt on a piece of a clay crucible using a tourch. As I applied the heat there was smoke, some materials that started to melt and some that started forming beads. I attempted to direct the beads into one piece. As everything got hotter and hotter the beads just started disappearing. I thought they had oxidized or what ever and just burned up. I never throw away a curiousity immediately. A few days later I said, maybe they got flat or something I am going to look under the glass slag. I got out my diamond tools and Dremmel. carefully removing the glass on top revealed the beads had gotten so hot they melted down into the clay crucible. They were in little shiny pockets of melted crucible. I still have them.
THEORY: The small addition of metals in "THE PLATINUM GROUP" can send the melting temp of gold to extreme temperatures. Check out the melting temps of the group. The books say putting two of the group together usually raises the melting temp.

Blacktoadd said:
The books say putting two of the group together usually raises the melting temp.
That is usually not the case. When you combine two metals, the melting point is generally reduced, not raised. That's how low melting temperature alloys are formed. Individually, all of the constintuents melt at higher temperatures.

When gold fails to agglomerate easily, it's usually a sign it's not pure. The oxides that form reduce the chance that the metals will come together. That's why folks use soda ash-----along with borax. It cleans the gold surface and allows the gold to flow together.

Personally, I don't advise the use of soda ash. It may allow the gold to melt, but all you're doing is masking the problem. Getting the gold pure will eliminate any difficulties with gold agglomerating.

I torch melted all my gold, and did so as long as I refined. I never used a furnace-----they're way too slow. I used a melting dish and Hoke torch with a rosebud tip, oxygen and natural gas. The melting dish was coated with a small amount of borax, just enough to lubricate the gold so it would flow easily. After melting several hundred ounces, the dish had a purple cast only----from colloidal gold. No base metals oxides could be detected.

Refine your gold properly and wash it well and it should melt very easily. Done properly, it should look like the very familiar picture that I've posted on many occasions of gold poured to shot.

Harold

Attachments

• Gold shot.jpg
    Gold shot.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 109

Latest posts

Back