dreamers?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure where I read this.

If Hydrofluoric acid covers 2.5% of your skin it can kill you. I would say that's basically your hand, maybe a little more.

That's about right. There are other chemicals that do that too though! Keep in mind that plain old phenol (think Lysol steriliser) if spilled over 10 sq inches can kill you as well, in several minutes as I recall. I remember reading that in a publication put out by Flinn Scientific. I've had some burns with the 70 and 40 percent HF and I can tell you they hurt, even if you get your hand in cold benzalkonium chloride solution and then paste with gluconate in KY. Still hurts!!

Now that you tell me you're etching SiC I can better understand. If you're making precision mirrors and optics...you probably do some sputtering, eh? Look around--there will be some precious metals, somewhere in your processes.

Lou.. I wish.. LOL! Yeah we have two divisions, we manufacture the glass and do the surfacing, lapping, etc .. then we send them to our sister company that does the precision coatings and then they come back here for us to check out the wavefronts, etc.. I've seen a few Au plated mirrors here and there.. one that makes me drool every time I see it (about 52" diameter.. my gawd!)

no sputtering equipment here tho.. :(

What we do our HF in is lovingly referred to as our "million dollar dishwasher".. we have this huge optics washer that is fed by a tank containing roughly 300 gallons of HOT HF :shock: :shock: and it works just like a big dishwasher..

I can't really get into WHAT we're doing, but basically it's making "ultra light-weight" glass for mirrors.. anything beyond that is either classified or proprietary. *shrug*

Yeah, I've read that about phenol as well.. truth be told we mes with a LOT of different dangerous things on here. It's always good for us to keep that in mind, noobs and old-timers alike.. ;)

Hi all!

I am Ivan from Indonesia. I am a new guy in the gold mining in Indonesia.
I would like to try to fusion with NaHSO4 for my raw material for rhodium.(from black sand) but i dont know where to start.

I have passed the roasting 500oC for 4hours, the leaching with HF and then nitric acid, the Hot Aqua regia to dilute Au, Pt, Pd.

and now i get residue which positively contains Rhodium(and might also Os,Ir), rose red colour, using steve method to test rhodium.
I dilute the residue with sulfuric acid for 2-4hours, then adding lots of water before siphoning.
I precipitate the rhodium or everything using Tin. I get black powder.

I have legitimate reports from local metallurgy lab that the raw material contains 5% rhodium. I am not a dreamer but i am just curious. I would like to precipitate pure rhodium.

how to deal with the black powder? or getting pure rhodium from the black powder?
i cant get any NaHSO4 in Indonesia. Is there any substitute chemical? or is it possible to make NaHSO4?

NaCL+H2SO4 = NaHSO4+HCL or
NaOH+H2SO4 = NaHSO4+NaCL (fom wikipedia)
sounds impossible..right?

I might sound like any other guy in the forum trying to proof that their material contains rhodium.
I am just curious, the country as big as Indonesia has no PGM's mining except gold mining.
FREEPORT, the biggest gold mining in Indonesia, in Papua, Papua New Guinea Island which i believe, mining PGM's not only gold, chopper, and silver.

please do look at the website www.ptfi.com

Papua is the richest island in Indonesia but the poorest people among others island.
My point is, I email and join the goldrefiining forum for the enlightment.

Papua is the cendrawasih island and Freeport is only small part in papua which contain gold. My papua friends tell me that," If Papua is assumed as a body that contains gold, than Freeport is only hand." They, Freeport, are hunger for more.

Sounds like politician.. but i am just curious and need enlightment. :lol:

Thanks

waiting at a level railroad crossing in Detroit during rush hour on '8 Mile', doesn't it boggle the mind, watching those tankers go by... Sulfuric... Sulfuric... Sulfuric... Liquid Bromine... Liquid Bromine... Nitric... Nitric... Hydrofluoric... Hydrofluoric...

I was surprised to find that coil cleaner I use for air conditioning coils contains HF, never heard of it being that deadly. Good thing though I alway use long gloves and face shield.

Jim

james122964 said:
I was surprised to find that coil cleaner I use for air conditioning coils contains HF, never heard of it being that deadly. Good thing though I alway use long gloves and face shield.

Jim

no kidding.. if you ever really want to spook yourself to the point of becoming OCD.. start reading the MSDS sheets on the "common" household chemicals you use all the time.. :shock: :shock:

I started to, but then I realized it's only going to make me more neurotic.. :lol: :lol:

Back