E-Waste using no chemicals - Can it be done?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sancho_n_Pedro

Supporting Member
I was wondering, as I've been playing with my furnace just recently, If I take the obvious bits away (aluminum) and then throw everything else into my furnace, it will melt everything into a mixed metal block containing copper, steel, nickel, silver, gold.
If I put these into suitably sized blocks and use cupellation to remove all but the noble metals, would you say that this is a somewhat safer method that the wet route?

And by going this route, would you say that you should be collecting all the noble metals, or will there be losses?
Or would the suggestion be to follow the HCL route first to eliminate some of the metals to begin with?

I was wondering, as I've been playing with my furnace just recently, If I take the obvious bits away (aluminum) and then throw everything else into my furnace, it will melt everything into a mixed metal block containing copper, steel, nickel, silver, gold.
If I put these into suitably sized blocks and use cupellation to remove all but the noble metals, would you say that this is a somewhat safer method that the wet route?

And by going this route, would you say that you should be collecting all the noble metals, or will there be losses?
Or would the suggestion be to follow the HCL route first to eliminate some of the metals to begin with?
If you do a good magnetic separation after the incineration you will get rid of most of the Iron.

Still, the cupelling has its own issues regarding pollution.

There will be less waste treatment though.
Maybe better with a Copper cell?

It is not that simple !!!!!

You can not just throw some circuit boards in a furnace & expect that they will melt into a chunk of metal that can then be processed for the PMs

There is more to it - a LOT more to it

The quick answer (steps) to the process -----------

The CBs first need to be shredded (so need to be run through a knife mill or hammer mill)

The shredded CBs then need to be incinerated to turn the organics (plastics) into carbon/ash

The incinerated shredded CBs then need to be re-milled in a ball mill

After ball milling it needs to go through a sifting/screening process - this separates over sized part from above process (which needs re-processing &/or other processing) from smaller size the goes to the next process of smelting

Smelting the smaller size that goes through sifting/screening then needs to be mixed with flux to slag off organics (carbon/ash) as well as "some" metal oxides - & as well the likely addition of a "collector" metal to the smelt to insure all metals collect together & don't get hung up in the flux/slag

That is the short story - for a more complete understanding read this thread --------------

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/smelting.25592/

And as well watch this video (the one titled "incineration process") ---------

https://www.advchem.com/videos

Kurt

My daughter plays high school flag football and loves it. I swear the girls need protective equipment more than a padded helmet, they seem to want to hit each other pretty badly. Hahahaa. Good luck to your daughter!!

My daughter plays high school flag football and loves it. I swear the girls need protective equipment more than a padded helmet, they seem to want to hit each other pretty badly. Hahahaa. Good luck to your daughter!!
In the world outside the northern America, football is played with the feet
and one have no padding since no hitting, beating, pushing and likewise is allowed ;)

Back