electroplating out gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winterssoul

this is just a method that I've been giving some thought recently but if i have a solution of AuCl3 wouldn't it be simpler to plate it out of solution using a small gold bar and just growing it using electrolysis just like when they are purifying copper similarly couldn't this method be use to improve the purity of the gold, silver, etc. also please forgive me if this have been asked before or if i posted this in the wrong place.

Electrolytic refining of gold and silver are common practice, and have been for a VERY long time.

Harold

The basis for all electro refining is the same, high purity feedstock, so if you have gold chloride that's from a second refining it might be fine but if it's from low quality or contaminated feedstock it won't produce 999+.
When the company I worked for installed it's own cell the gold chloride for the solution was made from 999 gold and the feedstock was gold from either inquartation or from the silver cells.

Back