Fake gold plating in iron wires

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

Friends,a few days ago,i asked for ideas to recuperate plated gold from iron wires. I got many ideas and before using them,i made experiments.None recuperated gold--horrible sentiments(2000kilos of wires) i consulted some friends in Brazil which prduced fantasy jewels .they told that for many years they plated their jewellery with a chinese product that substituted(instead) gold plating solutions.Surprised and astonished,i made a test with tinner and all the plated gold on the wires dissapeared.Does anyone knows of this chinese product-?-a kind of varnish?please tell me to alert other members.PS:i did not lose money,because wires belongs to a friend who buys 20tons of copper scrap a week to recycle.as he received this iron wires,and paid the price of copper scrap,he asked my son if we could recuperate the gold-that is the story.If anyone knows about this chinese products,please tell me and all grf members.Thanks,Arthur Kierski

There is an ancient recipe (Japanese I am told) that was called Shakudō which has a small percentage of the alloy as gold. However there are some versions based on this article which have no gold.

There are also products called chromate conversion coatings which deposit a gold color on metals with absolutely no gold. They are sold as corrosion resistant coatings. No gold but gold color.

I am glad it didn't turn out to be a costly venture for you and your son.

Last edited:
I’m sure I have seen gold coloured aluminium products which I think was done by anodizing I believe but I could be wrong about the process used.

There is an ancient recipe (Japanese I am told) that was called Shakudō which has a small percentage of the alloy as gold. However there are some versions based on this article which have no gold.

There are also products called chromate conversion coatings which deposit a gold color on metals with absolutely no gold. They are sold as corrosion resistant coatings. No gold but gold color.

I am glad it didn't turn out to be a costly venture for you and your son.
4metals,on the contrary you helped me a lot--i experimented the way you told me, and because i did not get gold--i asked other friend--tried hcl,hcl+h2o2 and finally aqua regia.No gold with any of these process.I got some small profit because my friend bought this scrap as copper and my son with a magnet found to be iron--my friend got refunded and gave somemoney to my son--thanks and dont worry-Arthur

Yes Nick,i did a lo tof anodizing ,a long time ago--and did not remember of the goldish aluminum color--thanks for remember it--regards Arthur
I have seen Gold anodized Aluminum, but I don't know how they do it.
It may be dyed before anodizing, hard to say.

Latest posts

Back